FactoryTalk SE product help

robertmee

Lifetime Supporting Member
When developing HMIs using Rockwell, I've always done RSView32. I now have a customer requesting SE simply because it is the 'latest'. This will be their first install of SE as well as mine. I have toolkit access to ABs download site, but there's a multitude of products under the FactoryTalk family, and I'm unsure where to start.

The installation will be single use HMIs (not distributed) on various parts of a production line, communicating to CLX processors. The HMI will be PC based.

Soooo....what in the devil do I need?

What's the difference between ME and SE? Can SE be standalone as it seems more tailored to distributed architectures? The various packages available are:

FactoryTalk ME StationRT (I assume a standalone Runtime)
FactoryTalk ME Studio Edition (Maybe development for the above)

FactoryTalk SE Station (is this RT only?)
FactoryTalk SE Client (how is this different from Station?)
FactoryTalk SE Server (Do I need for standalone)

Factory Talk V Studio for Enterprise (What is this?...The whole kit and kaboodle)

I'm used to RSView32 Runtime and Works...Works to develop, Runtime to run. What is the equivalent for FactoryTalk?

robertmee said:
When developing HMIs using Rockwell, I've always done RSView32. I now have a customer requesting SE simply because it is the 'latest'. This will be their first install of SE as well as mine. I have toolkit access to ABs download site, but there's a multitude of products under the FactoryTalk family, and I'm unsure where to start.

The installation will be single use HMIs (not distributed) on various parts of a production line, communicating to CLX processors. The HMI will be PC based.

Soooo....what in the devil do I need?

What's the difference between ME and SE? Can SE be standalone as it seems more tailored to distributed architectures? The various packages available are:

FactoryTalk ME StationRT (I assume a standalone Runtime)
FactoryTalk ME Studio Edition (Maybe development for the above)

FactoryTalk SE Station (is this RT only?)
FactoryTalk SE Client (how is this different from Station?)
FactoryTalk SE Server (Do I need for standalone)

Factory Talk V Studio for Enterprise (What is this?...The whole kit and kaboodle)

I'm used to RSView32 Runtime and Works...Works to develop, Runtime to run. What is the equivalent for FactoryTalk?
ME runtime is for a single HMI (like a versaniew and such). We use it for single machines, and small systems.
RSViewME (now alled factory Talk Studio I believe , v5.0) is the development software.
ME= Machine Edition.
You do not need Works for development if you are using ME.
V studio for enterprise is the old Works for SE.
EDIT: You do not have to purchase Runtime for a PanelviewPlus, it comes with one. You just create a Runtime application, load it to the terminal and then set it to Run application.
Not sure if you are after data collection and such.

FactoryTalk Studio Enterprise is an all-in one development package that will let you develop either SE or ME applications. This is the editor package you will need if you are going with an SE application.

FactoryTalk Studio ME is for developing ME applications for the PanelView Plus or VersaView platforms, as well as FactoryTalk ME Station applications.

FactoryTalk ME StationRT is a standalone ME runtime; use this if you have developed an ME application for a PC instead of a PV+ or VersaView.

If they want SE and they are to be individual stand-alone apps, you will need the SE Station RT for each HMI platform. If they are indeed all stand-alone, just ignore all of the client-server packages.

Perfect info guys! Much clearer now. I agree it seems ME is the way to go, but so far the customer has been insistent on using SE. Not sure why.

robertmee said:
Perfect info guys! Much clearer now. I agree it seems ME is the way to go, but so far the customer has been insistent on using SE. Not sure why.

You should refer them to this site and have them read all the horror stories.

I bet you could then sell them on RSView32 or some other brand altogether...

OkiePC said:
You should refer them to this site and have them read all the horror stories.

I bet you could then sell them on RSView32 or some other brand altogether...

Funny you should say that. I actually did a search on SE, copied a bunch of links to the SE nightmares and forwarded to them. Deaf ears, I'm afraid.