Connecting thermocouple to Honeywell HC900

TheFog

Greetings to all!
As I am new to Honeywell's PLC usage, perhaps someone with more experience could help me.

My assignement is to collect data from ATM Fe-Ko thermocouple. PLC that I am using is Honeywell HC900-C30. Also, I have common analog and digital I/O modules.

Is there a commercialy available component or device to satisfy my needs or I will be forced to make my own amplifier, compensator bridge, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Iron-Constantan Thermocouples are known in the industry as Type J thermocouples (T/C).

The HC-900 is a modular hybrid controller. It looks like, but is not really, a PLC.

You will need a rack, a rack power supply, a controller module an appropriate analog input module, and the HCD (Hybrid Control Designer) software to deal with a thermocouple input at the rack level (digitize the thermocouple (T/C) signal, make it available).

Your task, "To collect data", is a whole secondary task, which could be done using Honeywell's Operator Interface LCD screen with its internal logging or trend screen, or a 3rd party HMI software package using Modbus or OPC to fetch data from the control module over an RS-485 or ethernet link.

The HC-900 has different model analog input cards. The only way to tell which analog input module is which is by part number.

The universal analog input modules can handle thermocouples (as well as 4-20mA or RTD). If you have the universal analog input module, then you can wire the thermocouple directly to the input module.

There are also current analog input modules that deal only with 4-20mA current signals. If you have the 4-20mA current analog input modules, you would need a thermocouple transmitter to convert the thermocouple signal to a current signal. A temperature transmitter is the commerically packaged equivalent of your "own amplifier, compensator bridge" (which would include ice point compensation, critical for thermcouples).

If this is for a single temperature point, then using a T/C transmitter with the 4-20mA current input might make sense, but for multiple points, it would be less expensive to use the universal input card and wire directly.

Dan

dan, thank you for your answer

now, when, I've found someone capable with this, I can go into details :)

I already have a rack; rack power supply, controller module, and several I/O modules; as well as Hybrid Control Designer....and at least, I've collected some OPC software to realize the problem of "collecting data".

So....what has left is problem of "converting" (weak) signal from thermocouple for standard input on I/O module of HC.