PIC driver query?

Soggy Canuck

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good morning all,

I have a situation with a laptop running XP pro with RS Linx ver. 2.51.00.21(CPR 7). It has been very stable up until my computer went off and loaded XP SP3. At first I had no problems with anything in my AB suite, until I went to talk to an old SLC 5/00 with my handy PIC driver, only to find that the driver would not load, perusing the AB knowledgebase I found the bulletin about SP3 not being compatible and promptly removed it. I can now load the PIC-1747 diver and can see the PLC in the RS Who window. When I open RS Logix 500 and attempt to go online it tries to connect and faults out with a communication loss error message. As an experiment I tried downloading the code using the RS Linx viewer and it pulled the code out but would not stay online. I am assuming there is some other update that I need to find and remove. Does anyone have any ideas on how to figure out which update is the offending one. I can roll back the laptop to a previous save point but am not willing to stop downloading all of the security patches from Microsoft just to keep one old driver going.

Regards Soggy

Just a thought, but could you not partion your drive, and dual boot with an older copy of windoze just for running the older software for the older PLCs?

I could give that a try, i've got a copy of '98 lying around here somewhere, If I can track it down I will have a go at it.