Switch Debate - Who is your Favorite?

We use small un-managed switches from a company called Contemporary Controls; Never had one fail yet.

Not sure if they're available on your side of the pond.

Nick

This is our 20th year using A-B Processors, and our 5th using Hirschmann switches. Both are excellent; when I do my "now I lay me down to sleep" at night, PLC's and switches are not among my concerns.

The Hirschmann stuff is rugged, small, and easily mixes fiber optic with CAT-5.

Bill

I will third the N-tron and second the Hirshmann. Our company use the N-tron and Chrysler has us use the Hirshmann as their spec.

Bud

I've used Hirschmann, N-Tron, and Contemporary Controls. All priced roughly the same and never had any of them fail.

For some customers where there is only the PLC and a Panelview but I want to be able to be able to connect up without disconnecting the PV I use some $25 NetGear switched. Never had one of those fail either, and some have been in for a long time. These are in temperature controlled environments with no chemical worries though.

I've had a similar experience to jtn. I have used both commercial and industrial switches and I have yet to have any of them fail. However, our machines are segregated from the plant network so our apoplications are pretty friendly.Keith

Lately we've been sticking with Weidmuller and Woodhead unmanaged switches; mostly for small form factor and low prices. My feeling is that today one cannot really tell one brand from another: there is a lot of them and all seem to work well.

Peter Nachtwey said:
We are using Contemporary Controls on our latest project. There are about 50 nodes and the demands are high. They work and ones we use have a small foot print.
I've never used the Contemporary Controls switches but judging from a quick browse it looks like a good looking switch

I've had very good luck with Ntron.

As far as store bought switches, keep them in the office.