Starter PLC for newbie

nozliw

I have an opportunity to buy this Siemens PLC. Can anyone tell me if this is a good unit to begin learning about PLC's ? The information below was written on the CPU.

Siemens Simatic S7-200
CPU 222 AC/DC RELAY
212-1BB21-OXBO
85-264 VAC Supply
DI 8XDC24V
DO 6xRelay 2A

Thanx in advance for any replies.

Hello Nozliw;

I've worked with S7-200 PLCs in various projects, and have found them top be powerful and flexible. A great platform to learn PLC programming, in fact. Great instruction selection gives you plenty of development^power, and using the onboard inputs/outputs allows you to test your program logic as you go along.

You will need a programming cable, calle a PC/PPI cable by Siemens, part no: 6ES7 901-3BF21-0XA0, costs around $175 CDN, and a programming software, Step7 Micro/Win (now at V. 3.1), part no.:
6ES7 810-2BC02-0YX0; this will put you back around $650 CDN. (I could point out that the software is not license protected).
Have fun!

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier