PLC5 Ethernet adressing

antoine

Hello all,

I am configuring a MSG block in a Control logix to read data from a PLC5/40E.

I cannot figure out the path string I have to use to adress the PLC5.

It should be something like:

ENBT_NAME,2,10.1.193.6,??

I am a bit confused about the end of the string describing the PLC5 Ethernet port as soon as it is actually on the controller board, so the path doesn't go through backplane.

Any help is welcome !

Thanks

Antoine.

For PLC5 and SLC controllers, the IP address of the controller is the end of the Path string.

Because there's no ability to perform CIP bridging in either of those platforms, the Port and Slot numbers are not required.

...and while you're at it...

If you want to read the other direction (PLC-5 reads from
CLX) you should map an INT array in the CLX from
Logic-->Map PLC/SLC Messages from the main Logix5000 menu.

Good Luck,

(8{)} :) .)

(Yosi)

Hi, I'm back !

--> KEN: just using "ENBT_NAME,2,10.1.193.6" terminating by the IP address doesn't work either...

--> Trying the opposite way is not the good way to do things beceause I need to control the time when the values are read.
However it may be a turnaround as soon as this communication (PLC5 writes to CL)is described in a Rockwell technote.

...anybody else to help in the configuration of reading values in a PLC5 from A CL ???

Path that Ken provided is correct
What error code you are getting?
What is series/revision of your PLC5? - older revs don't support CIP messaging used by logix

Contr_Conn is right. Not all PLC5/40Es support CIP messaging over Ethernet. The attached pdf contains a Rockwell technote outlining the features that were added to each firmware revision on the PLC5/40E.

As you will see the minimum required firmware is E/D which adds multi-hop messaging over ethernet. This was release only in 1999 and so many PLC5s (most I have seen are older than 1999) will not support messaging over Ethernet. You might think this is only required if you are messaging FROM the PLC5 but that is wrong. The PLC5 will not reply to CIP messages too.

The only solution is a firmware upgrade. And this is not easy since you have to replace the EPROM.

I had the same issue and it took me days to find this information inspite of having called Rockwell several times.

Hello guys,

It seems you're right: I have a Serie C rev E and that one is too old !

I'll go for upgrade.

Thanks a lot to everyone !

(8{)} ( .) said:
If you want to read the other direction (PLC-5 reads from
CLX) you should map an INT array in the CLX from
Logic-->Map PLC/SLC Messages from the main Logix5000 menu.

Good Luck,

(8{)} :) .)

(Yosi)

Or, with the MSG instruction in the CLX, you can read from or write to a PLC-5 as follows: in the "Target Device" Data Table Address you can enter the tag name you wish to read from or write to using "Tagname" (the quotation marks must be included). Set the MSG to use MultiHop. In the MultiHop configuration tab, enter the IP address of the target in the "To Address" at the right side of the top data field. Another data field will be automatically generated; enter a 0 at the right of that field. Viola! I think you'll find that works very nicely.

Bill

Crapola....

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Rockwell tech support yesterday on this issue with a CLX doing a message read of a PLC 5/80E. Revision B. I just KNEW in my gut there was a firmware issue, but the tech guys (I went through three of them) kept insisting that the firmware was only an issue if I was doing message writes from the PLC5. I also KNEW that if I had Internet access at the plant, I would have found the answer here instead of banging my head against the wall.

Just to add to this the information repository, the symptoms were that the .EN bit of the MSG type tag would stay on forever if pulsing with no .DN or .ER bit ever. IF, I removed the pulsing bit and just used a single trigger that I controlled and left on (testing that I wasn't overloading the buffers), then eventually I would get the .ER bit with the error code "01f", extended error code 0000_0204. Rockwell said this indicated a good connection (the path was good), but that the PLC5 wasn't sending the data. They said it was because the 5/80E was overloaded with incoming requests (the 5/80 does talk to three iFix stations and does messaging to a couple of SLCs). Even when I tried to go the opposite direction and do a write from the PLC5 to the CLX, the rung wouldn't compile and gave me an error that this version of 5/80E didn't support multi-hop, they insisted that it wasn't a problem going the other way.

Dangit!! I'll call them today and let them know it took PLCTalk to give me the right answer.