Off Topic - 575V VFD Needed

Steve Etter

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all.

I am needing to spec out an AC Variable Frequence Drive to go on a machine destined for Ontario, Canada. The industrial power in Canada (or at least at my customer's facility, anyway) is 575V and up till now, I have never had to buy and supply a 575V drive.

Does anyone have a highly recommended VFD for this voltage (1 HP, 0-70Hz range, no special application)?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Steve

575V VFD

Steve,
Allen-Bradley has a drive you might be interested in. The 1336 drive has been around for some time and I have used them in the past. They are very easy to set up and operate. Look at the link above and you will find a data sheet. They do make these drives in 600V +/- 10% so that plus the 0-400Hz frequency range might do the job for you.

Just an idea...

Did you consider use of a transformer? In my experience
600V drives are more expencive and harder to get than
the lower voltage versions. Depending on system or your
deadlines it could be reasonable to consider step down
transformer. They are fairly inexpencive and enclosed
version can be mounted outside the control cabinet.

panic mode

Panic's right... A transformer + the 400V (or even 200V) drive (that you're already familiar with!) will probably be a lot easier than going the 600V drive route. A 1HP motor is quite small, so you won't need a very big transformer.

beerchug

-Eric

In Canada, a 575V rated drive is the right choice. ABB makes several models in 600V class range and are fully supported in Canada as well as the US.

Just a note, the motor should also be 575V rated. And beyond that, be sure the motor is inverter rated at 575V. Motor insulation stress due to drive output pulses is bad enough with 460V, but even worse for 575V. Be careful with motor insulation ratings.

At 1hp, you could consider a 575/460 or 230V transformer but I would check with your customer for availability of 460 or 230V motors. In Canada, there are some places where they are about as common as 575V motors in the US. The transformer won't be free and it puts about 3% of load KW in losses into the system as well.

I think I better stick with 575V

Thanks for the responses.

I think for this application, I better stick with a true 575V system since a) the order specifically states "wired for 575V" and b) I know up front that this machine will actually be living in Canada.

As the old saying goes "When in Canada, do as the Canadians do."

I think I will start by calling the customer directly and finding out what they currently use (I should kick myself for not having done that before starting this thread in the first place). If they have no preference, I will start by looking at the ABB since my local support for them is better than that for A/B.

Any other prefered brands/models out there?

Steve

Steve

I definitely concur that you should use a 575 volt drive and a 575 volt motor. The customer is not going to be happy having one 480 volt motor amongst all the other 600 volt motors in his plant.

I have used 600 volt Yaskawa Drives (used to be sold under Magnetek and other brand labels) with good success.

Canada is almost exclusively 575VAC. If you talk to any of the major VFD manufacturers, they will have a drive to fit this rating. Most have VFD's rated up to 690 VAC as is required in some places in Europe.

575 volt drives

Steve,
Mitsubishi makes an excellent 575 volt drive and has a strong presence in canada.
If your motor leads are going to be more than 100ft long be sure and save yourself some trouble and use a load reactor on any brand of drive.

Arbitrarily using a load reactor on all motor leads over 100ft is not a good idea. Lead reactors have an initial cost, will waste between one and three percent of load KW and destroy good speed and torque regulation on precision systems.

If precision speed and/or torque regulation are not required, the motor performance will be good enough but, again, why the waste if it's not needed.

Put a little thinking power into the job and, if a reactor is really needed, then use one. Probably nothing makes more difference in this decision that the insulation quality of the motor. I've seen some motors that wouldn't survive at 5ft lead length, maybe shorter on 575V!

It might be an extreme example but, say, you have a very special 460V motor built into a machine as an integral piece. Replacing it with a NEMA frame motor is simply not an option. And, it is an Insulation Class B motor with no interphase paper insulation on the end turns. Running this motor on a 460V inverter with an output carrier over 2KHz will destroy it almost certainly with one month's time. In this case, even with motor leads of only 3 feet, you should use a lead reactor or, even better, a sine filter. Don't expect super tight speed or torque regulation but, at least, the motor will live a normal life!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input.

DickDV: Since we are on the subject of reactors, If you would, how about explaining the reasons one would use one and what they actually do. I know I have seen many in field but have only heard cursory explanations why they are used.

Incidentally, the customer has gotten back to me and has indicated that they have had good luck with the Mitsubishi drive so that is what I will be supplying.

Anyway, If you don't mind DickDV, I would sure like to here more about those reactors.

Steve

Be aware that Mitsubishi has 2 standard models. The E serie and the S serie.

The E serie is a way better quality than the S. The S is of course cheaper.

The E serie does not come with the programer unit, you'll have to purchase seperatly.

If its a simple application, go gor the S serie, if not get the E.

Last edited:
Thanks Pierre, it is good you pointed that out.

I have been using both the S and E series extensively for some time now as "standards" on different pieces of my equipment, so I was already aware of the differences.

Just as a note, there is also and A series. This series is a step up from the E series. Among other things, the A series allows you to program from 0-400 Hz where the E series limits you to 200 Hz.

Steve

One of the things about the S serie is that Mitsubishi will tell you that the configuration is "the same" as the F serie. Altough it is very similar, one of the thing not similar is the fact that IF you intend on using its multi-speed inputs capability ( 4 digital input for 15 speeds) then YOU CANNOT HAVE REVERSE SPEED.

It happened to us and was very annoying. We add to use a 4/20 mA speed control setup.

What else is "the same" ?

That time I had to tell there support how it worked.