DCS800 drive

Just used one on a ringmill. Its small foot print was the primary reason why we chose it.
The programming software I used was DriveWindow Lite (or something like that). Nothing fancy...quickly access parameters, load/save into the drive. However, the HIM module (keypad, or whatever ABB calls it.. ) was driving me bananas. It is painfully slow to navigate to a parameter and change it. I really learned to appreciate the Unico keypad.
Other than that, the drive performed well and was relatively easy to configure

You have to realize that I am the ABB drive rep in Michigan but, as far as I have had contact with the DCS800, the experience with the hardware is very good.

The manual is a bit awkward but if you use the center driven winder software, it is pretty straight forward.

If you want a system integrator with lots of experience in the midwest to do the commissioning for you, let me know. I have one that's very available and has a first class reputation.

Thanks for the replies.

We actually have one machine that uses ABB DCS400 drives, one for the wind and the other for the unwind. They use ABB winding software. These drives have been running for approximately 10 years without a single hiccup.

I want to keep the price down, and if possible, forego the extra expense of winding software. I inquired about ABB winding software a few months ago and the sales rep said that you actually had to talk to ABB before they would sell it - apparently they won't sell it to just anybody. The DCS800 looks like it has some pretty flexible programming capabilies and if the documentation is good enough, I'm confident that I can come up wth a tension regulation scheme that will be sufficient for our needs.

Also, I'm not married to the idea of using only ABB products.

Doing center-driven winder tension control is incredibly complicated. Using factory winder software is a huge bargain.

Not using it is simply poor judgement or total lack of awareness of the difficulty, in my opinion.

ABB only wants to review your application to be sure the drive/motor sizing is correct and the control scheme is complete. This is not snobbery on ABB's part but another indication of the difficulty of getting winder applications done right (even with factory software).

DickDV is an expert listen to him.

I have used a lot of ABB AC drives and they are pretty good drives. Another option to look into is SSD. These drives are extremely powerful and have winding software built into them.

Dear members;
i'have ABB-DCS800 Drives.
but there are a password parameter protection, any one know how we can bypass the password or restore the Drive to factory Setting, because i'have the DriveWindowLight Project but i'cant Download the Project to DCS800 Drive,
best regards.
Shawki

Dear members;
i'have ABB-DCS800 Drives.
but there are a password parameter protection, any one know how we can bypass the password or restore the Drive to factory Setting, because i'have the DriveWindowLight Project but i'cant Download the Project to DCS800 Drive,
best regards.
Shawki