Lessons learnt today Power Supply

HJTRBO

Hey guys,

Had a tough day today. I was installing a SICK ultra sonic in a ice maker holding room. Little did I know the trap that was waiting for me. The power supply the OEM used for the previous sensor was a tranny with a full wave bridge. I plugged in the new sensor, set it up and off I went. Hmm, its not seeing the change in distance... I pulled out the plug and re installed it to check if it retained its settings. Double damn, it didn't. So I had a hunch about the power supply. Luckily I had a large 6mF fluro capacitior laying around so I installed that across the output. Hey presto, the sensor worked! SICK ultrasonic sensors dont like a poor quality supply. In the end I purchased a switch mode power supply and installed that to avoid any further un-foreseen issues.

Experience gained!

Thanks for relating your experience.

HJTRBO said:
tranny with a full wave bridge
Question, though. What's a tranny to you?

This is tranny to me:

Trany-2.jpg

Dan