Connecting S7 Laptop (PC) to ET200 port

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all

I want to be able to program S7 through an ET200 port. I know this is possible with a PG because it has power on its port.

I read a while ago on here about some bit of kit you could buy that you plug your MPI cable into and it replicates the port on a PG. I can't find the post but wondered if anyone has any experience of this and, if anyone can categorically tell me whats the best bit of kit to achieve this?

Many thanks for any light you can shed on this

Cheers

;-)

If you mean to use a serial PC adapter or a USB PC adapter, then the problem is that there is 24V for the adapter in the port on an S7 CPU, but not in the port on a DP slave module (like the ET200S IM151-1).

There is a 3rd party supplier (Deltalogic I think) that has a PC adapter with terminals for an external 24V supply.

Alternatively, you can use a CP5512 PCMCIA card. It is faster and has more functionality than the PC adapter. It does not need external 24V. However, I only recommend it halfways, because it is a tad more expensive, and PCMCIA slots are disappearing from modern PCs.

Hi jesper

Apologies for the late reply. I've been away.

Are they the only 2 ways? A PCMCIA card or that Deltalogic adaptor. I'd rather not get something that has to have a separate power supply. I don't think my laptop has a PCMCIA slot in it, it has an ExpressCard slot instead??

Not sure what the difference is?

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks for your info and apologies once again for the late reply

Cheers

;-)

Thanks for the info Jesper...

You're right that it seems to be able to take power from the USB OR it can be connected externally.

I'll look into it further but probably end up getting one of those

Thanks again

;-)