Useful find, or drop it in the bin?

Blijj

Hi all. During a rummage in a dark and dusty corner today, I found an unopened RSLogix500 :) but the version was "one point something" :( (it was very dusty). Anyone know if I can use the 3.5" license disk to legitimately enable a current version of logix500? I thought maybe just load it as-is, or would I be in for a pile of back-compatibility issues if I tried to run a current application on it? Thanks.

No it won't work. Licenses are backward compatible (you could use a current license with your v1.x), but not the other way around. Otherwise, how would RS ever force us to keep renewing our support.

I'm not sure that I completely agree.

The MASTER disk activation will allow for any version of RS-Logix as long as it is in the same product group.(ie Lite,OEM,Classic)

Example: I have a master disk that was supplied to me approximately 5 years ago shipped with version 3.21, and I can use version 7.00.00 (CPR 7), as long as I can get it legitimately.....that is the key.

I don't think that the master disk has any idea about the software revision level.,

(Anyone else have input)?

Yeah, the license doesn't care about which version of software you are using.

That license should work on that version or newer versions. At least until Rockwell requires newer versions to use FactoryTalk Activations. I don't think they have yet made that leap for RSLogix500.

OG

Attempting to load it as-is won't work with any controller built in about the last 12 years. Not worth it.

But that activation file, yes, it will activate a current installation of RSLogix 500 (Version 8.10 is current) because RSLogix 500 still supports the good old EVRSI activation.

The legitimate way to get that update is to get a TechConnect support subscription. If you have a contract that covers some modern copies of RSLogix 500, you're good to go.