Matrikon Datamanager

Dua Anjing

We are currently using Matrikon's datamanager to transfer data between out Seimens S7 PLC's and out Seimens Ti PLC's. Over the past month we have developed a rather worrying problem. Previously we we attempt to run Configuration tool to allow us to modify teh datamanager. The PC would become unresponsive. Using CTRL - ALT - DEL to bring up Taskmanager I found that there would be two instances of Datamanager. Killing on of these would allow us to finally open the datamanager. Problemw as that the PC would be "busy" for long enough to cause PLC to PLC comms to timeout. We edited the CSV config file to remove a lot of "dead wood" and also removed some incorrect entries. After this it seemed to work OK until Yesterday. We are running Citect(v7), Kepware Seimens OPC Server and marikon on the same PC and have been since August. Yesterday we shutdown the primary server (we have standby server) as part of normal maint. Citect Shutdown as expected BUT OPC comms failed. We traced this back to the Primary Datamanager Locking Up. It wasn't until we rebooted the primary server that the standby (matrikon datamanager) pc realised that the primary had failed and started to take up the OPC comms. Any one out there have any idea's on what is actually causing the datamanager to lockup ?

Dua Anjing said:
We are currently using Matrikon's datamanager to transfer data between out Seimens S7 PLC's and out Seimens Ti PLC's. Over the past month we have developed a rather worrying problem. Previously we we attempt to run Configuration tool to allow us to modify teh datamanager. The PC would become unresponsive. Using CTRL - ALT - DEL to bring up Taskmanager I found that there would be two instances of Datamanager. Killing on of these would allow us to finally open the datamanager. Problemw as that the PC would be "busy" for long enough to cause PLC to PLC comms to timeout. We edited the CSV config file to remove a lot of "dead wood" and also removed some incorrect entries. After this it seemed to work OK until Yesterday. We are running Citect(v7), Kepware Seimens OPC Server and marikon on the same PC and have been since August. Yesterday we shutdown the primary server (we have standby server) as part of normal maint. Citect Shutdown as expected BUT OPC comms failed. We traced this back to the Primary Datamanager Locking Up. It wasn't until we rebooted the primary server that the standby (matrikon datamanager) pc realised that the primary had failed and started to take up the OPC comms. Any one out there have any idea's on what is actually causing the datamanager to lockup ?

My experiences with matrikon were quite poor, but I would say its a bug in the software. We there any updates to the server lately? Could it be related to a windows update.

ghettofreeryder said:
My experiences with matrikon were quite poor, but I would say its a bug in the software. We there any updates to the server lately? Could it be related to a windows update.
The PC in question has not been updated (Windows Server 2003)since it was put into sevice in last August. Citect has had some "hotfixes" installed so it is possible that we are chasing a bug.

adrielmichaud said:
Have you contacted OPC Support ?
We did contact support about getting someone to come to site. I must admit I wasn't impressed with their response. We were told that we would first have to bring our support contract up to date (at a cost of around $20K) and then pay per hour plus expenses etc. Don't have a problem with paying per hour even around 120 to 150 etc (because we don't have a contract) but thought the additional $20K on top of all other costs was a bit much.
We are using the Datamanager basically as a protocol converter between Seimens S7 and Seimens Ti. We have decided to spend the $20K on developing a direct PLC to PLC comms link which we will begin to install at Christmas. Currently hoping to "survive" until we can finally remove matrikon altogether.