s7 mpi/usb adapter question

benji

hello
im using an s7 314 dp to monitor some sensors and i want to watch the out of the sensors on my PC
and all i have to connect is the MPI/USB adapter
i had the kepware ex opc server and it supports the S7 MPI protocol but it is asking also for the COM settings such as baud rate and parity so i guess it only supports the MPI/RS232 adapter, it looks like it doesnt support the usb port
i did download the cd (driver) for the usb adapter but it doesnt go under the COM list

any advice?
is there somting im missing? is there another opc server that supports the usb adapter?

I had the same problem using KepServer and finally we have to change to an RS232/MPI adapter. Don't know if there another OPC software to use with USB adapter.

benji said:
hello
but it is asking also for the COM settings such as baud rate and parity so i guess it only supports the MPI/RS232 adapter?

Hello benji,

I may be really wrong but the USB/MPI cables that I sell still have all the settings that the RS232/serial settings have.

Does your cable show up under your device manager?

I have both MPI/USB and MPI/RS232. RS232 still works though there is no rs232 port in laptop (using usb-232 conv). But same problem as yours for USB, maybe you have to ask to kepserver maker. And I would like to thank you so much if you share here for the answer

The Siemens MPI/USB Cable doesn't have any com setting

We have both Siemens MPI/USB cable and a copy cable.The difference is :
Siemens MPI/USB cable: Don't have any com setting.Kepware opc driver doesn't support.Now we have the Siemens mpi/usb opc driver.
Copy cable:It has own cable driver.When plugging it to usb port of PC,a virtual com port appears.

There is no big difference on protocol for MPI/RS232 cable or MPI/USB.

Siemens MPI/USB cable: Don't have any com setting.Kepware opc driver doesn't support.Now we have the Siemens mpi/usb opc driver.
Copy cable:It has own cable driver.When plugging it to usb port of PC,a virtual com port appears.

What is "copy cable"?

(missed it in the post from April 30th)

Now we have the Siemens mpi/usb opc driver.
What is this OPC server for the PC Adapter USB ?
Simatic Net OPC Server does not support the PC Adapter USB. It does support the CP5711 though.

i have same can u help me which opc server you used

i have same problem can u help me how did u communicate with usb cable although kepserver does not support USB

i have same problem can u help me how did u communicate with usb cable although kepserver does not support USB
We write our own MPI protocol driver to communicate the PLC through MPI(RS232)cable.So it's ok that we update the driver from RS232 to USB.