Starting to accumulate alot of cables!

HJTRBO

Hi guys,

After been in the game such a very short while, my laptop bag no longer fits all my cables. I'm sure some of you have cables dating back 20 years!

This leads me to the reason for posting; but how much longer do we have to wait before all the big names are a standard USB port. And I mean standard, not their special connector to a USB plug. As my knowledge and exposure to latest PLC product news is not current, I would be pleased to hear if standardisation is allready well on its way.

Just like strikes and union marches can any push be made?

No there is no standardisation per se.
On the other hand there is a solid movement towards ethernet, even for smaller PLCs. This is a very good development.
I would hate if USB became the standard onboard programming port.

The newest versions of the AB ControlLogix comm modules have USB built in. But I'm not sure that USB is the right connector/protocol for a "standard". Cable length is too restrictive in my opinion. I'd rather see ethernet standard.

But, regardless of what may be the latest standardizations, we'll have to keep all of those old cables for awhile so we can continue to support even most of today's PLCs, which will still be in place for another 20+ years.

HJTRBO said:
Hi guys,

After been in the game such a very short while, my laptop bag no longer fits all my cables. I'm sure some of you have cables dating back 20 years!

This leads me to the reason for posting; but how much longer do we have to wait before all the big names are a standard USB port. And I mean standard, not their special connector to a USB plug. As my knowledge and exposure to latest PLC product news is not current, I would be pleased to hear if standardisation is allready well on its way.

Just like strikes and union marches can any push be made?

Hate to say it, but Siemens had it right in the late '80s early '90s. One programming cable (Rs232 <-> CL) programmed all S5 family of PLCs. Back then when we were a Siemens house, I had only two cables, the PLC online cable and the OP upload cable

I work on everything from AB (PLC 5, SLC, Control Logix), Omron, Siemens, Mits, automation direct, Tele PLC's and then there is the screens HMI's and drive cables... Oh what to do... I carry one small case for my laptop and a case with wheels for my cables (which is breaking at the seams some days)...

Wish there was a standard... I agree USB is limited on distance but is great to work with. I also like ethernet...

GE Fanuc has not done too bad either. Since 1989 I have these and can "talk" to ALL current PLCs and HMIs:
AS693232SNP - 15 pin 485 to 9 pin 232 (Third party cable)
IC200SNP500 - RJ45 to 9 pin RS-232 (GE Fanuc cable)
IC690CBL316 - RJ11 to 9 pin RS-232 (GE Fanuc Cable)
9pin-M to 9pin-F Extension cable, 2M
9pin to 9pin M-M and F-F (Just in case)
Ethernet patch cable
Ethernet cross-over cable (No longer needed, but just in case)
I also keep a "cheater cable" that magically "converts" RS-485 to RS-232 in the GE Fanuc world.
There are a couple more that I keep but have not used in a long time.
i.e. 25 pin to 9 pin adapters and cables needed by some old HMI's. (I have 2 of these.)

This may be a good post to "book mark" in case you ever need to talk to a GE Fanuc PLC.
To do this Rt-Click the #6 in the upper right, then select "Bookmark This Link".

Last edited:
I carry an ethernet cable and then I have bunch of RJ-45 to 9 pin adapters to amke serial cables out of the ethernet cable. I also carry 9 pin to 25 pin and 9 pin to 15 pin adapters, along with a null modem adapter. Abd then I still have the odd cable that doesn't really fit into my adapter scheme easily. Every now and then I still get stumped though and have to pull out the soldering iron and connector kit.

The problem I have with USB on industrial devices is that in many cases, the manufacturer doesn't add true USB support, but simply adds an internal USB->serial converter and the communication is still inherently serial. That way they can stick a USB plug on the front and call it "USB compatible." But in reality when you plug in you have to go through the rigamarole of opening the device manager to find what COM port was assigned, which seems to occasionally change for no apparent reason.

I've noticed the COM port a USB converter/device is assigned to seems to change depending on what port it is plugged into.

In my case, the laptop I use has two USB ports built in. When I plug the USB converter in the upper port, it gets assigned to COM6. Plugging it in the lower port assigns it to COM7. GX Developer FX just remembers the COM port setting; it doesn't look for the actual device. I've noticed that with some USB to RS232 adapters as well in the past. I just have to remember which port it's plugged into. (Yeah. I know. One more thing to remember.)

I think USB is generally pretty simple, but I would prefer ethernet if there was going to be a standard.

Tazikel said:
I've noticed the COM port a USB converter/device is assigned to seems to change depending on what port it is plugged into.

In my case, the laptop I use has two USB ports built in. When I plug the USB converter in the upper port, it gets assigned to COM6. Plugging it in the lower port assigns it to COM7. GX Developer FX just remembers the COM port setting; it doesn't look for the actual device. I've noticed that with some USB to RS232 adapters as well in the past. I just have to remember which port it's plugged into. (Yeah. I know. One more thing to remember.)

Thats why they make "Finger Nail polish" mark it.

http://store.hello-gorgeous.net/nailpolish.html

I won't ask where you get the "Nail Polish". The other way is to have a quick link to Device Manager on your desktop then it is just two clicks to see which Port has been assigned where.

Right click a blank area on the desktop, point to New, and click Shortcut. Type is c:\Windows\System32\ devmgmt.msc. Click Next. Type in a friendly name for the shortcut. Click Finish. A shortcut to Device Manager will now be available on your desktop.

Bryan