FactoryTalk SE General Questions - Please Help

robertmee

Lifetime Supporting Member
Long time user of WW and View32. First time jumping into the SE pool.

So, through trial and error I've been able to:

1) Create new Site Edition (local) Standalone Application - Imported RSView32 as baseline

2) Setup RSLinx Enterprise Device Server and am able to browse offline the RSLogix5000 tags

3) Generally understand all the other bits and pieces that are similar to RSView32

Here are my questions:

1) Where is the application located and can it be moved. RSView32 had a user specified directory that I could make anything. For a customer, I usually setup an application tree such that:

C:\Project Name\Manuals
C:\Project Name\Drawings
C:\Project Name\RSLogix Files
C:\Project Name\RSView Files

Even using the SE Application Manager, I don't see a way to define the directory location. Maybe since it is a distributed product it HAS to be located somewhere specific? Even though this is a standalone application?

2) When to use/create HMI tags and when to use RSLogix5000 tags direct? It would seem that you would use HMI tags if you needed to:
A) Scale an analog value to something different than the scale in Logix5000
B) Define the tag as an alarm and give it an alarm description
C) Other????

3) Historical Logging. I'm used to using DataLoggers and Templates in View32 and it seems to be the same in SE. Can I setup the datalogger to point directly at RSLogix5000 tags, or is this another instance of needing to create an HMI tag that points to DataServer?

4) All the distributed alarming setup? Ignore for a standalone application? No need to create any SQL databases? Just use a file type like view32?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

For RSViewSE, the application MUST be located in a directory under:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\SE\HMI Projects
Also, the FTDirectory information is located only under:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Rockwell

RSViewSE is a web service based system, so the paths are absolute, and can't be changed.

2) Tag DB based or Direct Reference. Your choice.
Personally, I despise Direct Reference tags, and find they are much more of a pain to deal with then just building up a tag database, but everyone has their own preferences.
Sometimes, I will use Direct Reference, but very rarely, and only where I absolutely know that the tags must be direct references (Forcing sync updates on a TagGroup in VBA for example).

3) See above. Yes, you can point directly to the PLC for Trending, but you lose the ability to display descriptions on the trend, set default process limits on the display, assign units, etc.

4) No need expressly for a database for alarms, though I like to dump all to SQL just for tracking purposes. The internal functionality of the default RSView-(Anything) Alarm tracking is somewhat limited. FT Alarms and Events however is excellent, with only a few quirks.

Thanks! Another question if you would be so kind:

How the devil do you set the size of the runtime client window? I have all my windows plus status bar and header bar sized properly for 1024x768 (imported from a working View32 project). When i create the runtime client and launch it, the container is much smaller (non-maximized it appears) so the replace windows don't fit properly (I end up with the last one displayed - the header), plus scroll bars.

Found answer in technote: 24607

Seems you have to do some VBA Code on the inital window to set the runtime client window size, unless you want to always maximize. Hokey Sh**

On the SE Client setup, there is a check-box to "Maximize Client at Runtime". Try checking that, and suppressing the titlebar as well.
Don't allow windows (especially 'replace' windows) to auto-size at runtime either.

Yeah, I did all that. The maximize one did it. I think I still might have an issue, though, as I think the Command Status bar (which I always display as part of my view apps) is a bit taller on SE than View32.