SSI to ControlLogix

MajorFault

Anyone out there using Delta RMC100 to interface MTS temposonics (linear position sensors) with SSI output to a ControlLogix processors?
I currently have 6 160" temposonics w/ SSI output going back to 2 seperate (3 channels each)AMCI Nexxus modules that convert the SSI signal to ControlNet. Which then goes to a CNB card in rack with processor. I have had a few problems with this application and am looking for something better.
Please let me know if anyone out there has any experience (good or bad) with either of these two interfaces.

Just monitoring position but tolerance is very tight. I am monitoring the position of a hydraulic press that weighs approx. 6.6 million lbs with 12'x26' surface. We use these temposonics to detect slant and deformation.

I am not sure if this will work with your application, but take a look at 1734-SSI or 1738-SSI modules. You can use them with Logix via Ethernet, ControlNet or Devicenet

If the RMC100 has ethernet capability, you can just read the position into the PLC directly.

I'm sure Peter will chime in on this one soon.

I'm don't think the 1734-SSI will work. It states that it brings the data back in the form of a 24 bit binary number. Looks like it is specifically designed for absolute encoder postions. I need a floating point or real data type as our measurements use several decimal points.
Yes, if Peter is out there, he certainly would know the answer to this one. I talked to some MTS guys at the automation fair and they mentioned that some customers were using the RMCs to interface back to ControlLogix processors. However, I have not been able to talk to anyone who is actually doing this.

The RMC100 should be able to do this easily.

I would use a RMC150 for new applications though.
The RMC100 or RMC150 can control the valves too and off load the PLC.

Here is a link to a video where 6 axes are controlled by a RMC100. It isn't a press but you can see the position control. There was a 7th quadrature encoder input. The 6 actuators were all geared tho the feed chain encoder. The motion profile are done using electronic camming. The communications was to a Control Logix PLC using Ethernet. The comms must be fast to download new cam profiles for each piece of wood.
ftp://ftp.deltacompsys.com/public/movies/CANFOR FORT ST. JOHN_0002.wmv

I am President of Delta Computer Systems, Inc.