Forum upgrade coming...

Phil Melore

Administrator
Hi Folks,

Happy December!

We'll be upgrading the forum sometime real soon.(this week or next max) So, don't be alarmed if it's down for a couple hours. I'll do my best to minimize the time and certainly add a few new 'forum toys' as well.

As it's been about 2-3 years since we added any new functionality.... it's about time.:ROFLMAO:

Please let me know if anything you'd like to see added as far as functionality.

Enjoy,

I know the idea of a "wiki" has been brought up before? Not sure if that is beyond the scope of your planned upgrade.

I'm happy with the forum as is. Are you planning of upgrading to a newer version of the same package?

One niggle with the current forum is frequent messages "there seems to be a slight problem with the database".
Apart from that I hope the changes will be evolutionary.

Phil,
I don't see much need for a change but wanted to say a big "THANK YOU" for providing such a brilliant service for us all.

Suggestion: put the button to 'start a new thread' on more pages.

Reason: Most of my posts are replies. I rarely start a thread, but when I do, I have to search all over the site for that button that starts a new thread. I can never remember where it is.

The link I save for the once or twice a day I check the forum is
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/
and if there's a 'start new thread' button there, I can't find it.

Even with that minor omission, this is the best run forum on the 'net.

Dan

MartB said:
I don't see much need for a change but wanted to say a big "THANK YOU" for providing such a brilliant service for us all.
I wholeheartedly second that!!!
danw said:
this is the best run forum on the 'net.
No need to say I second that one too, but I say it nevertheless.

Keep up the good work and if you ever need a hand, let me know.

Very kind regards,

Hi Phil,

Something to help with the search would be great...

I am having an issue with a 5/04 and I know its been talked about before several times but I can not find it...

It would be nice if we had a better way of searching and removing the 'noise' if you know what I'm talking about

Also thank you for this great service you provide us

Mark

Because of my Windows upgrade experience, I'm pretty much skeptic to all sort of upgrades. I hope, it will be for better...

Hi Folks,

thanks for the feedback. To answer a few questions:

wiki- not in the short term with this upgrade. Potential in the longer time frame I suppose...

new version- yes, the bottom end has changed significantly so it will be replaced with the latest and greatest and then I'll recode all the different modifications added over time. Ideally, no one will notice the difference as nothing will be lost in functionality and only a few 'bells/whistles' will be added. Speed will increase and security will be improved. As I'm recoding things it's a good time to code new stuff if anyone has ideas for improvement.

database problems- please let me know the next time the database errors on you. I keep logs so I can see the activity. In the wee hours of the night (my night, that is) different maintenance things are scheduled to run so it's possible that's when errors occur for you. It's generally an 8 minute window. but let me know next time it happens for you.

new thread button- please consider bookmarking this page instead. I would add the button to the page you mentioned but the forum wouldn't know if you wanted to post in the practice section or the live section.

search improvement- my number one concern as well. We'll have a permanent solution in the 1st qtr of the year for sure. Maybe internal google...

upgrade skeptical- me too... I'm already running an upgraded copy of the forum somewhere else for my testing (y) and all went well with the upgrade. It will be equal if not better...

kind words- it's a pleasure to run the forum.

Enjoy,

Phil Melore said:
Hi Folks,

new version- yes, the bottom end has changed significantly so it will be replaced with the latest and greatest

Will you be adding anything like vBblog or vBproject tools ?

First of all a big THANK YOU for this fine forum. I have enjoyed using it for many years. Call me lazy but the only thing I would add is a duplicate "Mark Forums Read" button near the bottom of the page on the right side.