panelview + tags

jey

Am new to HMI's and the local AB rep stuck me with a PV+. Most of what I have read has not been uplifting. Tags system has me kind of stumped. Its my understanding that if you have a shortcut defined that you should be able to go to the tag browser and see the devoce and associated tags. The shortcut to my plc is created and verified in design time but does not show up in tag browser. Imust be missing something.
Jim

Hello everyone,

Jim is a customer of mine and I asked him to post here in hopes that someone could help as I could not... he was told by his AB rep that they would help him with the application then... the one that told him found another job..

I know very little about the PV+ other then what I read on this site, is it possible that you have several applications downloaded and not seeing them in your other mode??

see this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=41057&highlight=panelview+tags

Mark

EDIT: This thread also has some information about them that may help.. http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=36214

Last edited:
My experience with PV Plus's is not to worry about tags within the PV program (ie RSView Studio ME) itself. If you set up the shortcut to the PLC through RSlinx Enterprise, you can refer directly to the PLC tags in the PV program. From memory it is in the format

[PLC Shortcut Name]PLC_TagName

I hope that helps. Post if you need more info.

Hi,

OffLine tag browsing is only for Control Logix or Compact Logix processors. You must fill in the file location box for the offline file (*.acd)

You can browse for OnLine tags from any of the AB processors that FactoryTalk (RSLinx) has a driver configured for & is connected to (LIVE).

Tag_Browse_3.JPG

Tricky point here!!!!! Who Knew?????

Tag_Browse_1.JPG

Hopefully it works out right, this software requires some crazy stuff!

Tag_Browse_2.JPG

BD

Be aware though that declared tags take up memory, I think it is better to use the direct access method, faster as well.

Not sure on the size of your app, but memory can easily become an issue on these units.

Its my understanding that if you have a shortcut defined that you should be able to go to the tag browser and see the devoce and associated tags.

The shortcut has 2 tabs in right window, Local and Target (as the images below). Local means the path where your development (Studio) communicaters with the controller. Target means the path where your PV+ communicates with the controller. For example, your Studio is connected to the controller through Ethernet, the Shorcut in Local tab has to point to the path in the Ethernet Driver where is the controller. Always the shortcut (Local or Target) has to point a controller, with that you will be able to browse for tags online. In some cases you have to use the option Refresh Folders. Now, for the target tab you will have to browse or add the driver that connect your PV+, it could be Ethernet, ControlNet or other. If it is Ethernet, the Local and Target shortcut are the same, you can use the "Copy from..." button.
The offline tag file is not necessary.
The other thing that I do for simply is name the Shortcut with the same name of the controller.

Sorry if I have some grammar errors, I am spanish speaker.