Panelview Plus Setup overview

vk_bt1

I've had a look around but haven't found a quick setup guide or anything akin to that.

I'm after what sequence things need to happen, and what software is required etc to get the PVP loaded, then configured to communicate with a compact logix cpu via serial.

Panelview plus 1250

From what I have read so far, It either needs to be setup via card or serial initially, and ethernet isn't available until this is done. Also, I gather factory talk is the comms software needed here in lieu of RSLinx for the setup.

Please forgive my ignorance, this is all a little new to me ... seems less intuitive than the siemems stuff I'm used to. But no doubt its all just a matter of familiarity and the associated mindset.

Cheers.

It's kinda complicated. I don't, but I suspect someone here has a decent guide to setting one up for the first time.

A few minor things:
1) It's pretty easy to setup a panelview plus using only ethernet. You just need to manually configure the IP address (or find it if you have it set to get one automatically using DHCP, which is the default out of the box).
2) FactoryTalk is a generic name for the family of software programs. FactoryTalk View Studio is the development software, RSLinx enterprise is the communications software used by Studio and its transfer utility to configure communications and to transfer applications to/from a panelview plus. RSLinx enterpise is also the software that the PV+ terminal uses to communicate with PLCs.

The basics are that you create and test an application using FTV (FactoryTalk View) Studio and configure its communications using one or more "Device Shortcuts" which typically point to PLC processors.
You then create a runtime application and transfer that runtime to the PV+ terminal.

vk_bt1 said:
From what I have read so far, It either needs to be setup via card or serial initially, and ethernet isn't available until this is done. Also, I gather factory talk is the comms software needed here in lieu of RSLinx for the setup.

You can configure the IP address of the PV right on the unit itself, don't need software to do that. This is described in Chapter 4 of the PV+ User Manual. However you can't do much else without FTView. You can use FactoryTalk View ME to develop projects for the PV+.

We too have had the fun of figuring most of the configuration and programming of the PV's. We use FactoryTalk View ME to create the HMI application required to create the runtime application for the PV Plus.

I concur with the previous poster that the easiest method to configure the PV is on the PV itself. The PV does ship with a CD with applications and Literature, which can help in getting you where you need to go. Everything you need to configure it comes up on the PV when you power it up. The default interface is called "ME Station" and allows you to configure the device, load & run applications. The configuration menus are pretty intuitive and will allow an easy setup of the device. It also includes a "Reset to Default"; "oh boy, I really screwed things up" option in there to get you back to factory defaults.

We always set static IP addresses and then use the FT View ME transfer utility to find the PV in the Linx Classic "RS Who" interface to download our HMI application to the PV. The transfer Utility has good help files.

I must state that if you have a PV Plus CE, the PV Plus has Windows CE installed and must have the ME Station interface running in order to do what I suggest.

Obviously, the www.ab.com site is good if you navigate to Literature or the Knowledgebase. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. I will try to help if I can.

Hi all, thanks for your replies.

We had already set the ips.

PC 192.168.100.25

PVP 192.168.100.5

PLC 192.168.100.50

I've had RS Linx classic show both the plc and the PVP, but i dont seem to be able to browse into them via rs linx enterprise in rsview.

I have the target and local set as the PVP i.e. 192.168.100.5 but each time I try to download it times out.

PVP1250
RS linx classic 2.5.00.20 CPR7
RS View 4.00.00 CPR7
Patch pack no. 00
Build no. 60

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I had some issues recently with a Panelview plus not accepting a download. The first thing that I did was upgrade the firmware on the Panelview (I think 5.00.05.55 is the latest).

There might be a problem on the PC side as well. Does the PLC show up under RSLinx Enterprise?

Hi All, Finally got it sorted. It had shown up in rs linx at some stage, but we couldn't drill down into the connected units.

It appears the fix was a combination of the software I listed earlier (we were using an earlier version of rs linx previously), setting up rs enterprise seperately from within rs view, and lastly .... sorting out some networking issues I had with virtual box. I hadn't mentioned this as It appeared to all be working. Apparently the guest OS requires specific IP's to properly communicate.

Thanks for your patience and help, this has been an interesting learning experience.

Has anyone else had luck running virtual OS'es with PLC software? RS linkx 5000 and RS view seem to work quite nicely on my laptop. It runs a vista host and xp guest.

Panelview Plus 1250

My background is Building Automation Controls. A customer recently requested that we install an Allen/Bradley Panelview Plus 1250 for them to view our BAS graphics which resides on a web enabled network controller. My question: does the Panelview support a web browser such as IE8 or Chrome..Etc. Also, I have been able to burrow down somewhat into the onboard software, but I did not see JAVA. Is JAVA supported in the 1250's Windows CE OS?

hi guys,,I have Allen Bradley panel view plus 1000 HMI ,,i have not software to make upload/download and seriously i have problem with this,
thank guys,,,,