Digital Inputs

Loci

I am attempting to input an eight bit (base 2) number into a PLC for position control (single DMX channel, if you are familliar with the standard). What is a good way to input a digital number into a data register for comparison/manipulation? (Type of input AND possible ladder logic as well!) I also have to spec out the PLC (additionally need a high-speed counter). I think that I would like to go with a Mitsubishi (to match the units already onsite), but if you have a better suggestion, I'm game. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Easy to do in any PLC, but Mitsubishi is quite flexible when it comes to stuff like this (though I still dislike Mitsubishi... ;))

With a Mitsubishi, you can 'group' up to 32 I/O bits (in multiples of 4, but the big plus is that you can start at any point!... (y)

Lets say your inputing your 8 bits to inputs X5-X14. You can reference them a K2X5. This simple means group 8 bits ("2" x 4 bits), starting at input X5. So to get your data into, let's say, a 'D' register, you can just use an instruction like "MOV K2X5 Dnnnn".

beerchug

-Eric