Configuring 1756-IF16 Programmatically

plcnovel

I am trying to Configure 1756-IF16 Programmatically using DDE connection, basically the following parameters:

LowEngineering
HighEngineering
LowSignal
HighSignal
RangeType

I am having success in writing the first 4 values but the "RangeType" i am not being able to write properly. Can anyway tell me if it is writable through DDE connection? Anyhelp wil be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hi
I wil appreciate if somebody can help me if we can write to configuration tags og 1756-IF16 Modules through DDE connection?

OK, here's your detail....

In the following example, module is in slot 1, and configuration for channel 0, the tag you need to set is :-

Local:1:C.Ch0Config.RangeType

0 = -10V to 10V
1 = 0V to 5V
2 = 0V to 10V
3 = 0ma TO 20ma

The RangeType tag member for each channel is data-type SINT.

From what you have said, I believe your problem is your DDE write is not using SINT data.

There are no issues with writing to the tag-member itself, it's just tag data in the database, just remember that RSLogix can do it.

Be aware that just changing values in the tag browser for the module will not do anything for you in almost all cases.
You need to communicate directly to the module, using the MSG function from the program to do specific reconfiguring, or force the module to reset to load new scaling values.

Quite right, rdrast, but I left that info out since plcnovel stated he is having problems writing to the tags.

When he needs to, from V15 onwards (I think), there is a specific "Module Reconfiguration" message type, which allows the module configuration tag to be written to the module, without shutting down and restarting the connection to the module.

Quite right, rdrast, but I left that info out since plcnovel stated he is having problems writing to the tags.

When he needs to, from V15 onwards (I think), there is a specific "Module Reconfiguration" message type, which allows the module configuration tag to be written to the module, without shutting down and restarting the connection to the module.

Well, only some things can be reconfigured at all without shutting down the connection to the module. Latched alarm resets, and setpoints for one thing. Changing the range still requires a shutdown and restart, even if this is hidden in the message.