industrial communication questions

benji

there are some abreviations i dont know so i apreciate some help explaining

1/ PG/OP
2/ S7 communication ,, is this the same as MPI?
3/ how many devices can MPI address? master slave or server client?
4/ is Profinet the same as industrial ethernet?

thanks already for any help

there are some abreviations i dont know so i apreciate some help explaining

1/ PG/OP PG_Programming Device (PC)- OP_Operator Interface Panel
2/ S7 communication ,, is this the same as MPI? Standard is MPI, Profi as a second Option (Built-in)
3/ how many devices can MPI address? master slave Definetely Master Slave or server client? as well.
4/ is Profinet the same as industrial ethernet? Profinet is the Siemens propritery roll out of Industrial Ethernet (Similar to TwinCat and such)

thanks already for any help
Hope this helps.
S7Guy, Jesper, LD may add to it later on I assume.

benji said:
3/ how many devices can MPI address?
127, but if you go over 32 devices, you'll need to split up the network in different sections. No more than 32 devices are allowed per section. The coupling between two sections happens by means of repeaters. Two populated sections have to be separated by an unpopulated one. Each section has a maximum length, but I'ld have to look up that info.

Kind regards,

Yes it is RS-485, it is his physical layer, also CAN bus and many other industrial filedbuses.

Don't know for Profinet, but EtherCAT(beckhoff version and more powerful) is industrial ethernet and can be used with today ethernet eqipment(netowork cards, switches and cables). But retrictions are that you cannot mix this devices network with your computer network as this protocol is multicast and it will mess up communication on your network0(DHCP server etc).