can I read 90-30 diagnostic on quickpanel 2

pazzo39

I am working on a stone saw and it has a ge 90-30. I know little about plc's but the screen read once that the plc was not responding. Then I shut the power off and took the power supply module out and plugged it back in and that message went away. Now the touch pad buttons light up but it won't let you engage any functions like raise or lower. I was wondering is any way to access the 90-30 diagnostic from the quick panel display?

the short asnwer is NO.

The error you saw before is generally due to a bad comms link between the screen and the PLC (plug fell out, wiring snagged etc) or maybe a bad PLC card.Very rare in my experience for the TCP commes port to die.

Is the PLC running OK? (Is the run light and OK light illuminated?)

Have you another machine of the same type where you could try swapping screen?

Cheers

The only PLC data you can see on the HMI screen are the things the designer of the application decided to include. The Quick Panel is not a PLC programming device.

You say you removed the power supply module and then reinstalled it. How long was the power supply disconnected? The battery that maintains the PLC's RAM memory is located on the power supply module. Fortunately for you, there is a fairly large capacitor on the CPU module that can maintain the RAM for half an hour or so. If you removed the power supply for longer than that you may have lost the program in the PLC.

What is the status of the "RUN" LED on the power supply module? Which model CPU do you have? Is the Quick Panel communicating through a serial communications module or through the port on the power supply?

The run light on the power supply was blinking and when I
reconnected
it the light staid on steady. The
cpu
module
blinks rapidly and so does the I/O
module
. Can I use the serial port on the quick screen to access the
plc
and or can I use the cable from the
plc
to the quick screen to access the
plc
? I'm trying not to have to buy the cable from GE.

Thank You

The run light on the power supply was blinking and when I reconnected it the light staid on steady.
Are you sure you were looking at the run LED? The OK LED blinks during the power-on self-check, but I can't remember ever seeing the run LED on a 90-30 blinking.

Forget about using the Quick Panel to look at the ladder logic in the PLC. That's not what it does.

To look at the program in the PLC you need have the PLC programming software. Depending on the age of the machine, that could be one of three programs. A machine from the early to mid 1990s was programmed using a software package called Logicmaster 90. More recent machines would be programmed using either VersaPro or Proficy Machine Edition.

Hi I think Steve Bailey got it right ...the PLC has lost its program and config data. You cannot use the TCP in a 'pass through' way. Does the OK light on the power supply come on? What about the run light?

I think you need to bite the bullet and buy the lead to assist in your troublshooting and maybe to restore your backup.... that is if you have one

Cheers

If I remember correctly the GE Logicmaster 90/30 software was on 3-1/2 floppy disk and the programming cable was rs232 with an rs485 adapter. I may be wrong. It has been over 10 years since I used it.

You are correct, you can also locate the pin-out for a "cheater" cable that can be made in the field.
Try a forum search for "cheater cable".

Thanks guys I am going to go look at the lights and I think it was the ok light that was blinking. I'll be back to ask you guys more questions. Thank you.