Loss of communications with SLC5/04 chn 0

Sparhawk

I am using the 9300 usbs convertor to connect to a SLC5/04 on channel 0. with 1770-kf2/1785-ke/scanport device on rslinx lite 2.43. initially I connected just fine, and could see the SLC and PVs on the DH+ . After downloading the updated program I lost comm with the processor, and cannot re-establish. I have searhed Rockwells knowledge base, and tried several of the fixes, but still a no go. PVs and SLC communicate just fine, the only way I can connect is to wipe the processor back to default, and connect with DH485 protocol. Then cannot re-establish. I cannot find any difference in the channel config from the original. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm just a little confused as to what your trying to do, but just guessing
you are using the passthru feature to go from the serial port to the DH+ port. Check the passthru configuration in your SLC program.
See PDF below for more info.

I am trying to get rslinx to see the processor. I am not concerned woth using the pass-thru feature, rslinx cannot even see the processor.
I have already read over the document you suggested, as well as several others, but they have not helped.
I am obviously missing something, but I am nothing if not persistant.

Last edited:
To connect to a SLC-5/04 serial port you should be using the "RS232 DF1 devices" driver in RSLinx (shown as AB_DF1 after you pick it). When you configure the driver, the device should be SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview. As Mickey says, if your channel 0 is configured for DF1, that should work.

You said you could see the SLC and PV on DH+ at one point. How were you connected then? Cable, port, driver, etc.

You also say you switched to DH485 protocol. How were you connected then? Cable, port, driver, etc.

Post the program and screen shots like Mickey asked for, then I think we'll be able sort it out.

I loaded the software onto another laptop with a built in RS232 port, and connected just fine. The issue has to do with the adaptors.

Channel 0 is configured for DF1, for a modem at 9600.
With the adaptor, I connected using the 1770-kf2/1785-ke/scanport device mentioned earlier.

SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview will work when processor is wiped back to default, but not with the config for the modem. Even without the adaptors, I have to use the 1770-kf2/1785-ke/scanport.

The USBS will only communcate at 19200, so there is apparently a timing issue. I have run into this before, generally I can connect easily, but lose comms repeatedly.

I miss spoke about the DH485 protocol, default SLC5/04 comm settings are actually DF1 at 1200 on ch 0, but rslinx shows it as AB_DF1/DH-485. I apologize for that confusion.

In any case, the main issue is resolved, now if I can just avoid these adaptors, life would be easier.

Thank you for your time!