power genration

roxtech

Hello Dears,
Can any one brief me which is batter and running cost effective ( diesel engine/ diesel genrator or gas turbine running on diesel fuel) our one costumer want to know benefits of gas turbine running on diesel fuel against diesel genrator.
regards,
Zahid Ali Khan

I am sticking my neck out here but I believe that
any centrifugal machine is more efficient than a reciprocating machine.

It takes energy to get those con rods and pistons to move back and forth.

As examples
Maritime replaced recip steam engines with turbine. US Navy uses steam turbine on larger vessels and combustion turbine on some medium and diesel on small. Merchant marine does diesel only because of savings on engineering crew labor cost.

Interestingly enough the Navy relies on diesel for emergency power in case of the steam plant losing the load. So the main advantage to diesel is you can generally get em started provided you got fuel and you can turn the engine over.

Large aircraft are turbine instead of recips

Large compressors are centrifugal instead of recip.

Dan Bentler

A turbine is more efficient but I have never set up a turbine on diesel - only ever gas.

Be carefull, some turbines require power to get them started - ie you need a diesel generator to get the turbine going.

Bob what is ever gas??
Vapors off everclear - kind of expensive fuel (95% ethanol ie booze) is it not??

Dont know lot about fuel type turbines except they need something to get em rolling before you put the fuel and spark to em. Familiar with starting carts on flightlines -- sort of.
Dan Bentler

Natural gas Dan. We have lots here both on and off shore. Use it for cooking too.

There has been a new field discovered off shore and they are talking about liquifying it and transporting it to the US in ocean going high pressure tankers.

Thanks Bob. Kinda thougt it might be natural gas.

Dont know why you folks want to ship it over here to us wasteful Yanks. After we burn it up what are you guys gonna have in 20 or 50 years? Seems to me you should keep your resources for yourselves. But that is just my opinion.

Dan