Industrial PC choices

Kev77

I am looking at replacing PC's that are running Wounderware. They are in dusty area and I need something that will last. I need windows XP and a fair amount of storage and I don't want to by more dell's. What is everyone using?

Thanks,

Kevin

I have used Advantech in the past with good results. Also, our local Wonderware sales rep was in a few months back and showed me a new line of IPC's that they are offering. They come pre-loaded with a Wonderware Runtime license and you can get it with Windows CE or XP Pro. I have not used them, but they looked fairly robust.

Regards

Thin clients using ACP Thinmanager and MS Terminal Services, works great for WW. Upfront cost is a lot more since servers are required and you need licenses for Thinmanager and Terminal Services but, in the long run, costs less. Thin client bricks have no hard drive, no fans, and therefore no moving parts, great for harsh industrial applications. Typically you can run 6 to 10 clients on one server.
We install 7 servers for an average size plant. 1 domain server, 2 redundant Thinservers, 2 redundant I/O servers, and 2 redundant SQL servers.
At a minimum, I would suggest 2 Thinservers and 2 I/O servers. This setup will easily run 10 to 15 clients. Add 2 SQL servers to store historical data. If you need more clients than the 2 servers can handle, just add another Thinserver and licenses.

We have adopted B&R Industrial PC they are very customizable, have a small form factor, don't have any cables and are a very solid design. Anytime a Versaview goes down the B&R takes it's place. Only downside can be lead time depending on the configuration you want.

I haven't used them but it looks like a very interesting form factor from Beckhoff: http://www.beckhoff.com/english.asp?industrial_pc/c6515.htm?id=20443311982710

Since you have mentioned dust as a factor, this may be an attractive option for you. Of course, if you need a lot of PCI slots, then this will not work.

C6515__web_main.jpg

I think it goes without saying that any industrial-hardened PC is substantially more expensive than an office-grade box.

I've used Industrial Image for Industrial PCs or Monitors and Hope Industrial for displays. Another option would be to use thin clients or KVM over IP so that your PC could reside in an environmentally controlled room. You'd still use an appropriately rated display (NEMA 4X, etc). I've never actually tried the KVM route for a graphically intensive application. Anyone?

I am looking at replacing PC's that are running Wounderware. They are in dusty area and I need something that will last. I need windows XP and a fair amount of storage and I don't want to by more dell's. What is everyone using?

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks to all...

Not sure where the one's installed came from but I have had problems with the power supply on both units. These PC's run 3 hog fuel boilers and it is very important that they wotk. I think I am going to look at the thin client setup with redundant servers, and switches and clients.

Thanks for the information.

Kevin

I've used Industrial Image for Industrial PCs or Monitors and Hope Industrial for displays. Another option would be to use thin clients or KVM over IP so that your PC could reside in an environmentally controlled room. You'd still use an appropriately rated display (NEMA 4X, etc). I've never actually tried the KVM route for a graphically intensive application. Anyone?

Ive used blackbox KVM extenders over CAT cable for Citect applications. They work fine. I have also been investigating KVM extenders over IP, but have yet to see a reasonably priced system.

For all HMI installations now I am using rackmount computers in a conditioned network rack and drive a touchscreen monitor over a KVM extender. I have had too many problems with getting industrial computers repaired in the past, so its remote standard computers all the way for me these days.

I go with a standard pc & kvm extenders. we have a number of systems running black box extenders, some have 3 screens/ & are placed in our scada room, this contains a switch to switch the local terminal (kbd,mouse & screen) to any of the main pc's all kvm connections to plant floor.
The only expensive hardware is the keyboard & mouse as the lcd screens are standard mounted in either cabinets with fans & filters or standard vdu cabinets, however these are all stainless being a food factory, we suffer lots of water, steam & powders this has served us well.

These PC's run 3 hog fuel boilers and it is very important that they wotk. I think I am going to look at the thin client setup with redundant servers, and switches and clients.

How many HMI stations are you talking about here? If it's only a few, it probably makes sense to stick with individual PCs in a clean area with remote extenders. You still have the cost of individual PCs plus the added cost of an extender for each. At some point, the number of stations will make thinclients cheaper

Thinclients will always be easier to manage and perform upgrades since you just have to do it in one place, the servers. The thinclient bricks last a lot longer also. Since there are no moving parts, we have some that are still going after 7 years versus replacing PCs every 3 years. The servers may get replaced more often to keep up with software upgrades. Thinclient bricks can be flashed with the newer firmware to take advantage of any upgrades or feature additions. The 7 year old thinclients started out running WW ver 7.11 and now are running ver 10.

I have had too many problems with getting industrial computers repaired in the past, so its remote standard computers all the way for me these days.
Can you explain? Difficulyt is getting specialty parts? like a power supply? Connectors? drives?