SLC serial communication

betamax6

can anyone help me with this...

i need to trigger a certain bit on AB SLC program from a pc using RS232 protocol, how do i do it? also, can a program created using RSlogix500 be opened by RSlogix5000?

hi again,

just a follow-up question...the plc has this DH+ terminal, can i use it instead of rs232 for the same purpose of controlling a bit or data memory?

Yes, you can communicate to a slc5/04 via DH+, this is done regularly. You'll just need the correct drivers (RSLinx OEM, for example)

And to answer one of the questions from your original post, NO, a program created using RSlogix500 cannot be opened by RSlogix5000. RSLogix is for the SLC 500 family; RSLogix5000 is for ControlLogix/CompactLogix.

the plc has this DH+ terminal, can i use it instead of rs232 for the same purpose of controlling a bit or data memory?
The Visual Basic driver pointed out by Mickey will also work over DH+ by using a converter such as the 1770-KF2 or a DataLink DL3500.

Also if you search for AdvancedHMI on sourceforge, you'll find a package that includes a newer version of the DF1 driver and it also comes with some graphical components that work with it. These are all open source, so everything needed to use them are freely available.

You may want to watch these, they give a quick intro to both projects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiPzqc5jDlE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-E8NlUNiX4