multiple instance FB's

ivo.maenen

I know how the multiple instance FB works and i can program them, no problem there. I also know that I can save on the amount of used FB's/DB's and that all the data in the multiple instance DB is placed nicely one after the other.

But I was wondering if there are more advantages of using multiple instance FB's that I'm not aware of.

They are also great for programs that make extensive use of utility FBs such as SFB4/5 timers, where making DBs for every wretched object is a serious impediment to smooth coding.

The second big reason I use them is that they also improve resusability of FBs which use these utility blocks. For example, I often make a FB for a common element I may use on several projects, such as a FB that represents a particular brand of VSD or another piece of equipment, which contains SFB timers. If I used regular memory timers or non-multi-instance timers I would have to adjust every instance of the block and this is an aggravating process. This is just one example, but in general using multi-instance blocks is a good way of making a particular piece of code more portable from project to project.

Also, for S7 safety programs there are many standard blocks (E-stop, standard contact monitoring block) that are much easier to use as multi-instance.