SLC5/03 Not Recognized

gholder

Hello Everyone:

I am trying to communicate with an Allen Bradley SLC5/03 Processor, specifically P/N 1746-L531 (5/03 CPU-8K Mem, OS 302, Series C).

I am using software RSLogix 500, Rev. 2.57.0.0 and
RSLinx Lite, Rev. 1.70.62.00

My method of communication is with a laptop computer running Windows95 (4.00.950 B)

I communicate through the Serial port using a Personal Computer Interface Converter (P/N 1746-PIC, Series A)

Here is my problem: When I connect using RSLinx Lite, I recognize and identify the SLC5/03 processor on the other end. However, when I try to go on-line with RSLogix, I get the error message " The target node is not an SLC-500 or MicroLogix controller" :confused:

I have identified the processor node as node 1.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

BTW, There is a program in the processor which was coded with a newer version RSLogix than I currently have. I know I can't read it, but I thought I could at least recognize the processor and clear the memory. Maybe I am wrong.

Greg

Your SLC controller operating system is about a year old, but your RSLogix 500 software is more than four years old.

RSLogix 500 queries the CPU for it's operating system revision to be sure that it can handle it before attempting to go online. Because your RSLogix 500 version 2.57 sees an OS version that it doesn't recognize, it's claiming that the CPU is "not an SLC or MicroLogix controller". This procedure also keeps RSLogix 500 from attempting to go online with PLC-5 or PLC-2 controllers on DH+.

If you need to clear memory, pull the battery and short out the Vdd/GND solder pads on the right-rear side of the CPU motherboard for sixty seconds. Of course, you won't be able to load a program into this CPU with your old version of the software.

You're at a disadvantage in your toolset; A-B stopped supporting Windows 95 last year shortly after Microsoft stopped. RSLogix 500 version 5.0 and later (which you need to program this CPU) won't even install on Win95, I think.

Ken:

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I suspected that I would not be able to communicate, but the RSLinx gave me hope.

I have asked for my AB distributer to work up a quote for new software RSLogix, RSLinx and PanelView that will run on Windows 2000. I will present to my manager and ask for funds to upgrade.

Thanks again fo your help!

Greg

One other thing....

I have seen this message from several people when they have not selected the SLC as the target to communicate with but have instead selected the computer.

When you are attempting to communicate follow these steps in RSLogix:

1. Select System Comms from the Comms menu
2. Select Who Active
3. Click on your Driver on the left "pane"
4. Click on the SLC on the right "pane" (this is the critical step)
5. Click OK
6. Click Online or Upload or Download, whichever you need to do.

You are using an old version of software so my memory of these steps may be a bit vague. It is possible that step #2 may not be necessary with your version of software.

OG

gholder,

I think that you can use your setup as described. I use Windows 95 with RSLogix, versions 2 thru 4.5, and have no problems communicating. I think that "Operaghost" has it right: your problem is in your RSLogix "System Comms" setup. (1)Load the program, click on "Comms", (2)then select "System Comms". You should see a list of communications devices. One of them should be "AB_PIC_1, DH-485" or similar. Click on the "+" to open up the PIC device. Now you should see a list of the nodes on your network. You should see your "Workstation" and your "SLC-5/03". (If not, then your computer Comm Port may not be set up to match the PIC box.) Click on "SLC-5/03" and then click the "Online" button on the right side of the screen. Now you should be connected to the PLC!

Operaghost & Lancie1,

I tried your suggestions yesterday and my original problem was not resolved. RSLinx recognized and identified the SLC5/03 Processor but RSLogix did not recognize it.

I am convinced that Ken Roach is correct when he points out that the OS version in the SLC5/03 is the problem. The OS version is too new for my RSLogix software to identify and read it.

Your suggestions are good ones and I appreciate them, but they do not work in my particular case.

Thank you for all your ideas and help and Thanks again Ken!

Greg

gholder,

I am fairly sure that Allen-Bradley makes the SLC 5/03 operating system backwards copmpatible with existing software. If not, I will stop using all AB products imediately!

I have just finished a project that uses the latest newest version of the SLC-5/04, and I am using an old RSLogix version 2.5.

I still think that the problem is that you are trying to access a program in the SLC for which you do not have the original ladder program. For some reason, Rockwell makes it difficult to do this (but it can be done!) The problem is in your software setings.

Suggestions and Comments:
In RSLinx Lite, go to to "Communications", then "Configure Drivers". Does it show your AB-PIC box as "RUNNING"? Does it show any other driver as "RUNNING"? If so, you need to stop the others to avoid any possible interference. I know that you realize that RSLinx Lite will not communicate with all devices, (such as RSView) but it will and does work with the PIC box.

I have got that message "Target node is not an SLC or MicroLogix controller" many times. Now when I see it I know that what it is telling me is that I have not set up the System Comms correctly. It is saying that you are trying to use your "workstation" to connect to another "workstation", instead of to an SLC. I don't know why they made it so difficult to understand how the System Comm menu works, but an important thing to know is that because RSLinx shows your SLC, that does not mean that RSLogix even knows that it exists. You have to tell RSLogix exactly WHICH device you are trying to communicate with. Until you do that you will continue to get that annoying message that tells you nothing useful.

At least let me make one positive comment: Allen-Bradley communications set-up is about 5 times easier now than it was back in the old days when we had to use the AB Interchange program. With that thing, you never knew what the old DOS 6200 series ladder program was doing!

Last edited: