Hyper Terminal replacement and other tools

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am looking for a replacement for hyperterminal. My XP system doesn't have hyperterminal or telnet. I am currently trying to use PuTTY but it isn't as user friendly due to the complexity of everything you can do. So I am wondering what the pro's use out there.

Also I have found a Fox-toolkit calculator that figures out bit shifts left and right. I was wondering if any one knows of another bit shift calculator or any other nifty tools.

You're sure you don't have HT? It was bundled natively up through XP (Not in Vista, I think.) If it's not there, you should be able to find an XP install disk and add it.

In my XP it's Start > Accessories > Communications > Hypterterminal

I use Realterm as well.

I lost my trust of Hyperterminal when I caught it deleting bytes when three identical bytes came in sequence. Bad terminal program. Bad !

You're sure you don't have HT? It was bundled natively up through XP (Not in Vista, I think.) If it's not there, you should be able to find an XP install disk and add it.

In my XP it's Start > Accessories > Communications > Hypterterminal

Yep, I'm sure. I have looked thru multiple times. It was on previously then IT worked on my laptop formated and re-installed xp and now it no longer exists.

You could get your IT to add hyperterminal via the add/remove windows components in the control panel

You could get your IT to add hyperterminal via the add/remove windows components in the control panel

Thought about that but things are alot easier not dealing with them. Plus they are contract and only onsite once a week. Also I heard that hyper terminal isn't even in vista. So if i ever changed OS it nice to know the name of other options. So far I have tried all 4 of these programs listed.

PuTTY
Real Term
LKA
Tera Term

And for what I have done I like Real Term the most options but still pretty simple, next choise would be Tera Term for it's simplicity.

I am looking for a replacement for hyperterminal. My XP system doesn't have hyperterminal or telnet. I am currently trying to use PuTTY but it isn't as user friendly due to the complexity of everything you can do. So I am wondering what the pro's use out there.

Also I have found a Fox-toolkit calculator that figures out bit shifts left and right. I was wondering if any one knows of another bit shift calculator or any other nifty tools.

I user a simpler utility- visual protocol simulator
download from this link
http://www.microsant.com/download.html