(Q) How to setup CIP messaging between CompactLogix, Flex 1794-AENT, and ML1100

TSE

I have a system that currently has an SLC/503 with 1747-SN to Flex IO using the ASB modules. From the SLC I am also using the DH-485 network to ML1100 CPU's, with HMI (PV 1000+) units one on the RIO network and the other on the ML100 via Ethernet/IP.

I would like to migrade these older networks to Ethernet/IP adding a Compactlogix into the mix. The CompactLogix will communicate directly to the Flex IO devices, the HMI's, and the ML1100's. I need to be able to message from the ML1100 to the CompactLogix for information exachange and I need for the CompactLogix to be able to remotely map the Flex IO into tags for processing.

(Q1) - Since all are Ethernet/IP compliant it seems taht I should be able to use some sort of CIP messaging to make this happen, is there any reason to believe that this won't work?

(Q2) - Are there any documents/exacmples out there that will help me with the messaging/setup of this infrastrucutre. I have most of the docs from AB so I have a start, but they don't go into much detail on this stuff. It was quite a beast getting the scanner setup with the Flex IO to begin with so I am hoping that this will be somewhat simplier to do -- a wish I know..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thx.

Don't overload the Ethernet port on a CompactLogix

Yes, CompactLogix can connect to FLEX I/O over EtherNet/IP. It's as simple as adding the I/O modules into the I/O tree underneath the Ethernet port.

You do have to consider CIP connection capacity of your CompactLogix, as well as the number of frames/second capacity of the Ethernet port on the controller. I usually do it by hand using the guidelines in the ENET-UM001 user guide for EtherNet/IP modules, and there is an excellent utility for doing capacity and connection estimation on EtherNet/IP.... I'll post a link once I dig for it.

Messaging from the CompactLogix to a MicroLogix 1100 is also pretty straightforward. The address you're reading or writing in the MicroLogix is entered in SLC/Micro classic "N7:xx" format, and the address in the CompactLogix is in normal Tag format. No need to use the Map PLC/SLC Tag function when the CompactLogix is the one doing the message origination.

I've had users overload the CompactLogix Ethernet port with CIP connections by using multiple PV+ as well as large amounts of POINT analog I/O. Carefully count your connections and leave some breathing room to account for online programming and other purposes, and you should be fine.