RSVIEW32 6.4 project problem

concreteguy

Hi guys! I've been tasked with setting up a backup computer in the event of a failure. I zipped and copied the project folder from the main concrete plant computer (running XP SP2) to the backup computer (also XP SP2) and I can't seem to get it to display correctly. All the numeric fields are wireframed and most of the other graphics dont display at all. I've reformatted and reinstalled everything multiple times and also tried using the transport utility but I still can't get it to work correctly. I attached a screenshot. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

screen.JPG

It seems that is tag reading problem (when the RSView can't connect to he device, the animtions, fields, numerics, appears transparent. Wich driver are you using in the project? The RSLinx in the new computer is installed and configured like the source one?

Yes will look at how your project communicates to the PLC with the original project. For example if the tag database in your project talks to the pls(s) through RSLynx ODBC server then the new computer also needs those ODBC topics setup in lynx as well. Check the RSView project system tab for Node and channel also. If your new project can find the PLC then all will be ok.

Thank you for the swift reply. I was put on this project in the middle of the process and I'm unfamiliar with the RSVIEW software in general so I wasn't aware the transparency issue was a result of a comm error. Next time we get some downtime, I will connect the machine and see if that resolves the error. Thanks again!

Open up RSLinx and see if you can see the nodes, this will tell you if RSLinx (your communication from PC to PLC) is working

Thsn run your project to see if its working if not, hold down the ctrl and the alt key and press the letter 'P' twice, push stop project, if you have RSView (works) loaded on the PC you should be able to tab to the edit screen... open the system folder... open the tag monitor (you may need to create one) but if you have a tag screen made you can open it and see if your tags are active if not you may have issues...

When I have a back up PC its best to make a image of the running application and place it on the back up hard drive, when you just copy an application from one PC to another you will have issues more then not...

Hope this helps..

I agree with the other posters your problem is most likely RSView project system tab for Node and channel or the RSLinx setup.

Something else that you may want to do also
When ever I transfer projects between computers running RSView32 it transfers the previous PC's cache files and can trying to run with them.

Sometimes when edits are done in RSView 32, the project just does not want to release the cache files, and tries to keep running on previous settings.

A repair I do if any issue crops up, is to shut down the project, then in windows explorer, go into the project folder, open the cache folder, and blow away all files in that cache folder, they will be rebuilt on the next start up.

The next thing I do is go to the projects Tag folder, and look for one file with "the project name".cac
I THEN BLOW THAT ONE ONLY AWAY, leaving all the other files in that folder, this .cac file also will be rebuilt on project start up.

Then shut down computer and reboot and run your project.

I cant promise this will fix your problem, but it wont harm it either.