Omron HMI with Amnesia

mrdegold

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all and happy holidays
Last year we moved a water chiller from a sister plant of ours. This unit has sat since that time. We are just getting to the install for this unit in our building. On Wednesday we finished wiring the unit and went to power it up. All seem to start ok. The PLC an Omron CQM1H-CPU51 Seemed to go to run mode just fine. However the HMI display An Omron NT30C-ST141B-E powered up but displayed the message Battery Lowered for a few seconds then the unit hangs up with the message Connecting to Host Displayed.
I am assuming the HMI lost its program due to a dead battery. I am unfamiliar with this display and was hoping for some help with how to proceed.
I am currently working on getting the displays application from the machine OEM. I think my main issue is how can I get the application back into the HMI unit.
I appreciate any help or advice I can get
Thanks all

If I remember correctly, the screen data for the NT30 series OIT is stored in flash, not battery.
Most likely what you have lost are the COMM port settings for the HMI, which can be setup through the front panel of the HMI.
To prove that this is the problem, set DIP switch 5 on the PLC to the ON position. This sets the port of the PLC to the same as what I think the NT has defaulted to (Host Link, 9600 baud).
If this works, you should still find the correct settings in the NT. The Host Link protocol works differently than NT Link (which is what I suspect your NT was originally set for).
Turn DIP Switch 5 on the PLC back to OFF.
Then try different combinations of Baud Rates and Protocols on the NT. (try NT Link, and 19,200 (if the baud rate settings is even available for NT Link. I don't remember).
Access these settings as follows:
Press 2 corners simultaneously to get to the system menu.
Then go to Maintenance Menu.
Then go to Memory Switch
then go forward a page or 2 to get to Comm Method and Baud Rate.

Thank you for the responses.
I tried to switch the #5 DIP Switch to the on position. My results did not change I still got the message Connecting to Host Displayed.
However when I touched the 2 corners of the HMI it did take me to System menu which I will assume means that the HMI is at least functional and not damaged.
I would still appreciate and help or recommendation any may have
Thanks Again
Michael

Again let me thank you for both replies.
I did contact my local Omron distributor and they are setting me up with everything I need. (Cable's, Software, Batteries etc...)
After my last reply I went back into the Display system menu's maintenance screen and then the Memory Switch screen #2. I started playing with the Comms setting and when I changed the Baud rate to 9600 and exited the screen the HMI booted to the control application.
I really appreciate the help.
I hope every one has a good holiday and a Happy New Year
Michael

Sounds like you are on your way.
I would suggest setting up the communications as NT Link between the HMI and the PLC, once you get the cables and software.
I suspect that was the original setup.