Communication between AB Panel View Plus 1500 and 1756-L61 controller

-KeNshIn-

Hi all,

Is there anyone having experience on communicate between Allen Bradley Panel View Plus 1500 touch screen and Allen Bradley 1756-L61 PLC Controller?

1756-L61 is coming with a serial port which allow the communication between the PLC and the PC.

Now I had finished program the PLC and wish to link to the touch screen for monitoring. The touch screen is coming with a serial port as well but i cant find any option to configure the COM port setting.

In the touch screen, there are 3 types of communication allowed. KEPServer Serial Port ID, Network Connections, RSlink Enterprise Communications.

Previously I tried to communicate the touch screen with the PC and download the application on it using LAN (RSlink). It works. So now I wish to communicate the PLC and the touch screen.

KEPServer is for serial port communication if I'm not mistaken but when I click in it shows an error message "Failed to launch Kepware serial communication dialog".

Is there anyone can help??

Although Ethernet connections are far faster and much more popular, RSLinx Enterprise also provides the communication between the PV+ terminal and the ControlLogix serial port.

You need to configure an RSLinx Classic DF1 Full Duplex driver in the Target (Runtime) tab of the RSLinx configuration, and define a controller underneath that driver. Once the driver and controller are configured, you create an RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut that will use that driver and controller.

Information on RSLinx Enterprise configuration and use are in the online User Manuals for FactoryTalk View Enterprise; start at the Help menu to launch those documents.

Although Ethernet connections are far faster and much more popular, RSLinx Enterprise also provides the communication between the PV+ terminal and the ControlLogix serial port.

You need to configure an RSLinx Classic DF1 Full Duplex driver in the Target (Runtime) tab of the RSLinx configuration, and define a controller underneath that driver. Once the driver and controller are configured, you create an RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut that will use that driver and controller.

Information on RSLinx Enterprise configuration and use are in the online User Manuals for FactoryTalk View Enterprise; start at the Help menu to launch those documents.

In fact I alrdy manage to configure the Rslink where I used to download the PLC program. But now I wish to link the PLC and the Panel View Plus. since there is only 1 serial port out from the PLC controller and only 1 serial port in for the Panel View touch screen, there is no way for the serial port to link to my pc. Without any link to the pc so how do I configure the Rslink?

The Panel View has no communication indicator for serial port showing RX or TX. So I have no idea on the status whether it has been alrdy connected or not.

You can only connect one device at a time to the PanelView Plus terminal over RS-232: your PC or your ControlLogix.

In RSLinx Enterprise software, you must have already configured the DF1 Full Duplex driver and allowed it to detect the PV+ terminal.

Now you do the same thing while connected between your PC and the ControlLogix controller. This will allow you to configure your Shortcut to communicate between RSLinx Enterprise on your PC to the ControlLogix.

Next you will use the "Copy" button to copy this configuration from the Development tab to the Runtime tab. The PV+ terminal uses the configuration on the Runtime tab only.

Because you are using the same port for download and for communication, you will have re-browse on the Development tab so that you can download new editions of your PV+ runtime file.

If you do not have an Ethernet module for the ControlLogix, you may wish to use a CompactFlash memory card to transfer *.MER runtime files to the terminal instead of the RS-232 port.

An illustration of RSLinx Enterprise configured for download (the Development tab) and for communication with the terminal (the Runtime tab).

attachment.php

attachment.php

local_df1.PNG runtime_df1.PNG

As Ken shows in his .png files there is 2 different configurations to set up Local for you to download from PC to PV+ and Target for the PV+ to talk with the PLC.
The RSLinx / communication setup is in your RSView tree below the graphics.
Roy

probleme betwin rs links et rsview

hi
i use rslinks to communicate whin an alinbradley by telephone
i read all variable in opc client but when i make my application to run i dnt read the plc and i have error
as rslinks has a licence so i make a format of a pc i thinck there is lost

downloading app to pv 700

I been trying to comunicate pc to pv with no sucess, I kwow by ethernet; but i want to do it serial, i been comunicating from my app to plc from the pc with DFI, but i can't download to the panel view, I need some help please! o_O

hello.

I have the same problem to comunicate wt rs232, when i run the application in the PC, all its OK in the test run (FactoryTalk View ME), but when y download the .mer in the PV 700+ and run the application, a message apper:

DF1 com (x) used for another application and Time out C5:0

I talked whit a support service and said me that the terminal of the PV + with DF1 use COMM 0 & 1

at the moment y don't check this configuration in the RsLinx.
Good Luck !!

RSLinx Enterprise considers the PanelView Plus serial port to be "COM1", and the KepServer Enterprise drivers consider it to be "SERIAL 1".

You cannot use both a KepServer driver (like Modbus) and an RSLinx Enterprise driver (like DF1) on the same serial port.

The most common issue I have experienced with serial port assignment is when your development computer is using a USB/RS232 or other expansion port that is enumerated as another COMx port (like COM3 or COM5).

When you "copy" the RSLinx Enterprise drivers from the Development to the Runtime tab, the COM port assignment is copied, too. Of course, when that configuration runs on the PV+, there is no COM3 or COM5 and the driver shows an error.

The simple fix is to change the COM port assignment on the RSLinx Enterprise driver on the Runtime tab back to COM1.

Exactly Ken.

I used a cable usb to Dv9 (rs232).

My configuration in the RsLinx Entreprise was:
In LOCAL >> DF1 Com 9 copy this for RUNTIME and change the com port 9 to Com 1
but when i load and run the applicaction at the PV+ apper a message:

DF1 driver failed to autoconfig. and therefore will not start. check u'r cable and channel

Is so strange cause only when configurate com 1 apper these message if i use another com like 2 3 or 4 (that the PV support) show me a message that said these Com is used for another application.

foto0220u.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

What is the physical cable between the PanelView Plus and the controller ?

What exact model (and what port ) of programmable controller are you using ?

The PanelView Plus has a "DCE" style serial port, while your computer (and your USB/RS232 converter) has a "DTE" style serial port.

To connect the PanelView Plus to a PLC, you typically use a "straight through" serial cable.
To connect your computer to a PLC, you typically use a "null modem" serial cable.

It is very common to use a "null modem adapter" to convert one type of cable to the other.

Well !!.

- PLC to PC use a cable not interface USB to DV9 (null adapter) an then conect the ab cable 1761-cbl PM02 ser. c
- PLC to PV use the same cable AB

My com port in the pc is com 9
the com port in the PV is Com 1 a check in its configuration

First i communicate PLC whit PC why ? cause i don't have an interface
when i finished the configuration an prove whit the Test Applicaction and is functional.
charge the development .mer to the PV when this is load, conected PLC to PV whit cable 1761-CBL PM02, Ser. C

i talked whit an technical support assistant and said me that with these cable I should to communicate.

in AB Library found that the 2711-NC21 is runtime cable communication, i coment with the support men an said that these cable is no necessay.

To connect a PanelView Plus terminal to a MicroLogix controller Channel 0 serial port using a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable, you must add a "null modem adapter".

Low-profile adapters are available, like this one:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=4469

The 2711-NC21 cable is equivalent to the 1761-CBL-PM02 plus a null modem adapter.

The technical support persons you spoke with may not understand your setup; their advice that the same cable can be used for PC-> PLC and for PanelView -> PLC is incorrect.

So.

i need a null adapter, that it should be installed in the conector at the PV (Dv9)
and these conector must be female / male.

female to conect PV and male to cable 1761 or in other case buy the 2711.

whit this solve my problem..

thanks so much.

in the first opportunity i do it...