CoDesys as DCS

KalleOlsen

Hi!
Has anyone of you guys experience with Codesys or derivats (Twincat) in really big configurations? I mean, with several ten-thousand IOs. Is it comfortable to maintain and make changes on a running process? Are there any HMI solutions for integrarion of automatically generating (and removal) of icons and alarms? (Today I'm using Siemens PCS7 - works very well and is expensive.)

Kalle

Not had any experience with high I/O count as just starting out with Beckhoff equipment, but I know the Beckhoff EtherCAT system is supposed to scan 12,000 I/O in just over a third of a second, and they do a large selection of I/O cards as well as fieldbus modules.

http://www.beckhoff.com/english.asp?ethercat/default.htm

There are many HMI solutions that provide drivers for the TwinCAT ADS interface. I use Indusoft WebStudio, but I am sure there are others on here who would have there own favourites. You could also look at the TwinCAT OPC server.

Jon.

Correction: When I look at following link it says they can scan 1.000 I/O in 30µs, so that means they scan 12.000 I/O just over a third of a millisecond.

Not had any experience with high I/O count as just starting out with Beckhoff equipment, but I know the Beckhoff EtherCAT system is supposed to scan 12,000 I/O in just over a third of a second, and they do a large selection of I/O cards as well as fieldbus modules.

http://www.beckhoff.com/english.asp?ethercat/default.htm

There are many HMI solutions that provide drivers for the TwinCAT ADS interface. I use Indusoft WebStudio, but I am sure there are others on here who would have there own favourites. You could also look at the TwinCAT OPC server.

Jon.

Sorry my brain is not functioning today. It is Sunday afterall.

I read micro seconds but automatically told my brain it was milliseconds.

Jon.

First a disclaimer: I dont have any practical experience with CoDeSys or TwinCat.

As far as I can tell, a major deficiency for Twincat to cover systems in the scale that is normally covered by DCS is the total lack of both CPU and i/o redundancy.
Beckhoff and TwinCat seems to be particularly targeted at machines and smaller processes.
There are many Scada softwares that are compatible with Beckhoff and Twincat, but I dont think any has the level of integration that for example PCS7 has.