Programming Question

klm

Hello,

I'm new to PLC's and still learning.
My question is ... why do some programmers
use C+ to program PLC's instead of
Ladder-Logic? What are the advantages and
disadvantages between the two languages.

Thank you-
K-

It's not really C++, I think most programs call it Statement List, or STL.

It's best used for advanced math because it's cleaner. You start doing a lot of math in ladder logic and it gets very messy very quickly.

Search the forums for STL, LAD, and FB. It's been discussed many times, the advantages/disadvantages of each.

Programming

Hi,

I use what I need.

Lad for simple logic:
example: starting and stopping a machine.

Stl for programming something quickly. I've had a moment that I loved stl, but, not as much anymore.
I use it when I have to write something quickly. For enetering parameters to functions and function blocks, for some simple calculations but mostly for my alarms. All the alarms that I make are written like:
A OUTPUT
AN DETECTION
= ALARM
The alarmbit is connected with Pdiag.

Graph for stepprograms. All the machines that we make have many steps.

Scl (ST): I use this mostly when I work with arrays.
Some examples: shifting data in a table with scl, checking 500 bit's at once with a for next loop, etc...

I never use FBD. I can read it, but I don't use it. This is more a language if u are thinking in a digital electronics way. I remember from school that we could program CPLD's and FPGA's with VHDL and also FBD.

If you are a beginner, then start with LAD. If u understand all the instructions, then apply your knowledge to STL. Graph is easy, you don't have to learn much on this one. FBD also. But for SCL (the more IT language) it's better to buy a book, try some simple programs and grow like I did.

Kind Regards,

G

Hello,

I'm new to PLC's and still learning.
My question is ... why do some programmers
use C+ to program PLC's instead of
Ladder-Logic? What are the advantages and
disadvantages between the two languages.

Thank you-
K-