SEW Movidrive controlled by ControlLogix

CraigM

I have an application using a SEW Movidrive to control a hoist (two motors mechanically linked). The drive has an ethernet interface (DFE13B) which is to be used to connect to a ControlLogix platform (L55 CPU). I'm using RSLogix5k v16.

I have tried to follow the Movidrive manual for "Configuring the master ethernet/IP scanner" but have been unsuccessful.
I need the basic control data (ref speed, up, down, start & stop) as well as reading back speed, position etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or better still, done an application like this?

o_O

I have never connected a sew drive with a clx thru ethernet/ip, but i did it with pf40, pf70 and pf700, are you capable of seen the drive thru rslinx, is your drive included in the enbt list as a slave.

CraigM,
I looked at the manual for the DFE13B and it did not mention anything about communicating with an Allen Bradley PLC. Just because two devices have Ethernet ports does not mean they communicate with each other. Do you have a manual that i am not familiar with that states otherwise. If so please put up a link to it and I will help you out as much as possible.

Strange. I looked at the DFE13B manual and it states it is an ethernet/IP adaptor and mentions AB communications through the manual so it will work.
I had a quick read of the manual and it is straight forward if you are very competent and experienced with the more intricate side of RSLogix 5000. ie UDTs and messaging using service, class, instance and attributes (SCIA)
If you are new to Rockwell, then you will need to do a lot of reading.
Regards Alan Case

I have used the same with unity PLC.
First of all
1 Carry out start up in Shell to set up motor type,encoder type, inertia etc. Set P100 and P101 to FIELDBUS
2 Set IP address in P780. Set DIP switches to 0 to use software address only. Set IP address in both if u want to use both. Then initialise the drive by turning power off and on again.
3 Set P870 to P876 depending on how you r going to control the drive. We usually use our own IPOS program to control the drive. So we set to Ctrl word 2, IPOS-PO DATA,IPOS-PO DATA,Status Word2,IPOS-PI DATA,IPOS-PI DATA,ON

On controllogix side u need to map the drive to Ethernet Scanner with the correct amount of words. Then u should be able to see the drive on RSLinx.
This is just a basic description. If you need more info I can help you.

I have set up a program as described in the DFE13B manual and am able to read data from the "Identity object" CIA:1,1,1(class 1, instance 1, attrib 1-3) and get the default values returned to the "Response.Index" set up in the UDT. However, what I'm having trouble working out is where I can find the CIA for say the speed (Par.No. 000) or status word (Par.No. 010).
As with the PowerFlex drives, you have to set the setpoint source & control source to Fieldbus but haven't got around to writing anything to the drive yet.

Thanks for the responses so far...

:site:

I am having trouble downloading the manual from SEW web site. Could u please attach the manual on this post.
There are 2 areas when u use fieldbus with SEW.
PROCESS DATA
Use this area to control and getting status back from the drive.
PARAMETER
Use this area to read/write parameters from/to SEW.
Ex: Positioning ramp

I usually use PD area only. Lets say u use 5 words in each direction
CONTROL
Word 1 - Control Word
Word 2 - Setpoint Speed
Word 3 - Target Position
Word 4 - Positioning Ramp up
Word 5 - Positioning Ramp down

STATUS
Word 1 - Status Word
Word 2 - Actual Speed
Word 3 - Actual Position
Word 4 - Output Current
Word 5 - Actua Frequency

You can manipulate above variables in Assembler.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. It appears to be a lot simpler than we all thought.

To read data, I needed to setup a MSG read with the following:
Service code: e, Class: 7, Instance: 1, Attribute: 4
Then in the "...Request.Index" of the UDT created enter the index number which represents the parameter you wish to read (in the back of the manual). The data is requested and stored in the "...Response.Data" register.

Similarly, to write data use another MSG block with the following:
Service code: e, Class: 7, Instance: 2, Attribute: 4
This time the index of the parameter you want to write to needs to go into "...Request.Index" as well as the data you wish to write goes into "...Request.Data". Your newly writen data is read back into "...Response.Data" on completion of the MSG block.

Hope this helps others.
Cheers
🍻