choosing a suction cup

benji

Maybe this is a little off topic but i still wanted to post because i think many of you guys are working with pneumatics as it has a big application in automation.

I have a pneumatic arm that is going to lift a paper
the circuit goes like this:

compressor >> valve >> vacuum generator(venturi effect) >> suction cup

the vacuum generator datasheet indicates that the vacuum to be generated is propotional to the pressure applied

the question is ,does this vacuum stays the same at all suction cups (INTERNAL VOLUMES) ?

how would the surface of the suction cup affect the force ?

so all it is is that im looking for the relationship between the vacuum generated at the vacuum generator and the suction cup volume and the suction cup surface at which its gonna affect the workpiece.

thanks for any help

There are many things to consider by selecting suction cups.
  • The surface of the subject
  • How clean the surface of the subject are
  • The speed of getting the subject
  • The speed of the movement with the subject on the suction cups
Always remember to use large pipes to the suction cups to get a better vacuum use, small pipes will give delay.

It is better to use a vacuum pump instead of a vacuum generator if the job has a large numbers of uses of the suction cups or long vacuum fix of the subject.

does a vacuum pum generate more vacuum than vacuum generators?

i ve read about vac gen and they can provide 85% vacuum when operating at a pressure of 6 bar

does a vacuum pum generate more vacuum than vacuum generators?

i ve read about vac gen and they can provide 85% vacuum when operating at a pressure of 6 bar

Remember that vacuum generator used air from your air supply, and do you have enough air in your system?
Read the specifications for the vacuum generator to how much it is using. đź““

Also make evaluation about your system can the supply the amount of air to the generators, at start up of the vacuum system - can do at drop of pressure in the system and that can give problems in other places in the system (safety).

My experience is that a vacuum pump will give a better vacuum than the vacuum generators and give fewer problems.
The best way to build a vacuum system is to have the pump make vacuum in a small tank. From tank you will take the vacuum for the system and not from the pump. In this way you have a system where the tank is in constant vacuum, and when the valve for the suction cup is opened you will quick have vacuum in the suction cups.

so you prefer to provide vacuum from a vauum source( pump) to the whole system,even when you dont need vacuum at time intervals, dont you think this is an added power consumption?

talking about the supply (compressor) if its enough or not then sure it would be enough because the compressor automatically pressure more air into itself when the pressure drops below a limit.

another q:
can i have 2 suction cups in the same system that operate at different vacuum levels?

thank you guys for answers

another q:
can i have 2 suction cups in the same system that operate at different vacuum levels?

Yes but you would need to go through a pressure/vacuum switch then to a solenoid

We have a lot of manipulators that all have suction cups on them, I prefer the vacuum pump over the venturi, also use a manifold... it will save you money, I have even used the frame of the machine as a manifold them have the pump/venturi cycle on and off depending on the level of the chamber

Heat is also a facture, when I worked in the paper industry our feeders on our presses had suction cup, we would dry the paper sometimes so when it came out of the oven the heat would destroy the cups, not a big deal after the run we would change them out, we made quick change cups

Yes but you would need to go through a pressure/vacuum switch then to a solenoid
Can you explain this a little more?

sorry for my lack of pneumatics knowledge

i know the vacuum switch as it switches an electrical switch when a designated amount of vacuum is reached
so what solenoid would you switch with it?a valve?

I do the same on a few manipulators that we have... one set off cups will run off a separate vacuum switch and they will have there own valve to call for more vacuum or less, then they will just cycle on and off depending on the need

You can have analog or digital (with a fix SP) we use digital, then its a mechanical setting on the switch to give the PLC an input of the level, we can look at this (with the logic) or by pass it depending on the material we are running, this is set up in the HMI by the operator.

Hope this helps.

Mark