Help me with communications path?

Wyo_Knott

I'm a contractor working for a manufacturer. The manufacturer has several contractors working on various projects in the plant. I am working as part of the manufacturer's maintenance department. I often have to follow up the installation contractors to get upgraded equipment fine-tuned. A recent project programmer gave me a copy of the RSLogix5000 file he was installing on an updated machine. I have to use the maintenance department's "community" laptop and although I can open the file and study it in in RSLogix I cannot connect to the processor via the supplied IP port on the machine. I know the IP address of the processor and can browse it with Internet Explorer. I just cannot connect through RSLinx..etc. I get a message about setting the Communications Path. Nothing I've tried so far has helped. I have the save version (16) of RSLogix5000 that the programmer was using.
Any suggestions?
Wyo_Knott

Last edited:
open Linx and go to configure drivers. Look to see if an ethernet or an ethernetIP driver is set up. If the is an IP driver there you dont have to do any more. you can close linx and browse to the driver from logix 5000 software. To browse to it click on the top icon next to a box that shows the last path used, it looks like 3 little screens. if there is a ethernet driver in linx open it and and see if the IP is entered into it. If not add it and then close linx and go to it from 5000 like I said before.

Thanx,
I hate to be difficult and hate looking dense even worse.

I can set up ethernetIP driver with not problem. The path to my controller is not in the last path used or in the menu to select a path from a list of several. The laptop I'm using has never connected to this controller so there is no valid path. I need to know how to manually build a comminications path. This laptop has 'Linx Lite installed and I'm suspecting this to be one of the problems. What d'ya think?

Wyo_Knott

You manually build a communications path in RSLogix 5000 by clicking the ellipsis button next to the Path field, which launches the RSWho communications browser.

If the Ethernet Devices or EtherNet/IP driver can browse the ControlLogix Ethernet module, you just need to "drill down" by clicking the browse button or using the Autobrowse feature until RSWho has navigated to the backplane and then to the controller itself.

RSLinx Lite is all you need to connect RSLogix 5000 to the controller.

If you can't browse through to the backplane you might need some new EDS files registered on your PC. Post a screenshot of the RSWho browse if that's the case.

follow this.

I made a word doc that was 162k with pics. I uploaded 1/2 dozen or so times but was never there to post. Perhaps later.

I would just upload the pics but look like 5 is the limit and I have 6.............. I will do 2 posts on it.

I am not sure what is going on I tried with Firefox and IE but can post a file. Sorry.

With firefox nothing happened, with ie the pics uploaded but when i added to post it opened in a new tab.

Last edited:
follow this.

I made a word doc that was 162k with pics. I uploaded 1/2 dozen or so times but was never there to post. Perhaps later.

I would just upload the pics but look like 5 is the limit and I have 6.............. I will do 2 posts on it.

I am not sure what is going on I tried with Firefox and IE but can post a file. Sorry.

With firefox nothing happened, with ie the pics uploaded but when i added to post it opened in a new tab.

Smoke,

email it to me and I will post it on my website then post a link

[email protected]

Mark

Do you remember my password? ...... :D
You better be kidding...
You should go and sell some ControlLogix parts :)
I'm trying. I got so excited when I sold 3 on Saturday...haven't sold a thing since. I don't understand it. With so many people off work...there's nothing I can think of I'd rather do in my spare time than buy PLC parts:p