general dc input question

I take your question to mean, 'Is a discrete input pin left open interpreted as the '0' state?'

'YES' for Allen Bradley SLC, Micrologix and ControlLogix. Also AutomationDirect 05, 06, 205, 405.

That's also a yes for Siemens (S5, S7-200, S7-300/400), Omron CQM1, Mitsubishi FX and Philips PLC10 and PC20 (now Nyquist, I believe). In fact, I haven't seen any other situation so far and I've been active in this field of expertise for over 28 years now.

Kind regards,

I cannot remember a PLC that I have used in the last 25 years that treated a discreet input pin left open differently quite frankly - have not used everything available of course but have used plenty.

If you read the specs on the input cards it will tell you the threshold of the input voltage e.g. < 8.5v is logic 0 > 16.4v is logic 1 (these figures are not actual ones taken from input cards as these will vary from manufacturer).
PLC's are not like logic chips that can have a tri state