How quickly we (I) forget! DH485 pass-thru

DairyBoy

Hi there and Season's Greetings to all.

It's been a few years since I connected to a slc/pv combination via rs232 and it's all gone with the wind. My setup is: slc 5/03 and a pv550. So, the slc has 232 and 485 conns, and the pv has the same. Comms to the slc ok via usb/serial, using 1747-cp3 cable. The slc/pv connection is via an AB moulded DH485 lead. I'm sure I remember a pass-thru option in the comms setup for one of them, but maybe I'm confusing it with omron (which does have that option). I used auto-config in rslinx with the slc connected and got the "AB_DF1-1, DH485" driver, which runs ok. When the pv didn't show up as a connected node in the pb download screen, I tried an rslinx auto-config with the cp3 plugged into the pv, but no go. So... Which bits have I forgotten? Thanks for looking at a dumb question.

There is a pass-through option with the newer SLC's. It first has to be enabled in the Processor Status window on the Channel 0 tab. Put a 1 in S:34/5.

Then Linx requires a different configuration of the DF1 driver. In the "Device" drop-down box, you must select 1770-KF2... and then manually set the serial port properties to the same configuration as the processor. We have always had the error checking set to CRC on our processors, so you may need to change your to the same.

And one thing to remember is that the auto-config will no longer work, but if the properties are configured correctly, then you will be able to see the panelview.

DH485 Pass-Thru Disable Bit S:34/0
The default setting for this bit is clear (0). When clear (0) the processor allows packets to be passed from one channel to the other. When set (1) this pass-thru is not allowed. Channel 0 must be configured for DH-485 protocol. Only packets that contain the Internet network layer and whose Destination Link ID equals that specified for the opposite channel will be passed. The default Link ID for channel 0 is (1). The default Link ID for channel 1 is (2).
DF1 Pass-Thru Enable Bit S:34/5
The default setting for this bit is clear (0). When this bit is set, pass-thru operation is enabled between Channel 0 and Channel 1. Channel 0 must be configured for DF1 Full-duplex protocol.
RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000, 2001, 2002

Thanks for that. I've tried, without success so far (got a screenfull of slc icons in rslx all going by the same processor name!), but I'll keep on bashin' :oops:

The screen-full of icons is normal when using the pass-though. Only one panelview will show up and I think where depends on what node it is.

What do you have your device set as in RSlinx? 1770kf2/1785-ke/scanport or SLCCH0 Micro/Panelveiw? If the CRC - BCC settings match on both devices try the opposite device (above) that you have selected in the RS Linx menu.

Wow, what a great day this is turning out to be. Firstly, thanks again, but the frn of the 5/03 is too early for pass-thru (rev 8+). So I tried direct to the pv just for programming; no luck. Then hooked up a couple of aic units (1747aic and a 1761net.aic+); nothing doing. Then the best bit: accidentally deleted the PCMK DH+ driver in rslx. OK, let's put it back... Blue Screen of Death. Oh yeah, now I remember that one- about a couple of years ago. Those nice people at RA are sending an email with a "fix". Hair's gettin thinner/shorter/greyer by the second o_O Hmm, I see the stove's goin down. Say, what's the calorific value of a 10-slot rack?

The blue screen can be cured by booting windows into safe mode and deleting the driver. I've been burned by that one.

I did it in regedit, but it still crashed on the next time round. Called RA again. The latest ver of rslx doesn't do it, apparently. So... off to the download site, log in, what's this? invalid email address. ok, let's copy/paste it from their registration email to me... Guess what: "invalid email address". Email RA and wait :mad:

All this c**p is a real shame, cos for being a tidy, straightfoward prog, I'd recommend RSL anytime, but it just costs of a little bit of sanity each time you need to set something up.

Edit: Give up waiting, re-register and go to the RA download page. Select rslx 2.54. Nothing. Call RA and learn that RA downloads don't work with firefox (my employer's enforced browser). Isn't life grand.

Last edited:
Edit: Give up waiting, re-register and go to the RA download page. Select rslx 2.54. Nothing. Call RA and learn that RA downloads don't work with firefox (my employer's enforced browser). Isn't life grand.

HMMM? I download stuff with Firefox.

Basically try to hang in there. I had similiar problems like this over the years with all the major controls manufactures
in the PLC, HMI, Drives fields. It really sucks when you are somewhere over the "BIG" ocean though. I remember I had to fly down to South Carolina because the local Allen-Bradley guru could not get a data-highway setup to work through a modem. The modem was attached to a available SLC-5/04 Channel 0 port.
There were 10 other machines attached to that via the data highway. You could connect to that particular PLC but could not see the other stations. The only thing the AB guys forgot was to set the pass through bit. At that point I was wondering why they made more money than me. But I had some personnel satifaction I found and fixed the problem....

RSLinx is the weak spot in AB everything else is pretty solid.

I have always been dissapointed in RSLinx

Did the sefe mode thing, then rslx wouldn't run at all no matter where I poked it from. Rummage rummage...Found a 2.5.2 version of rslx. Installed and added the pcmk driver without conflict (pc or me), which is a relief as I've got a DH+ site to visit. Thanks, guys; exit freak-out mode until next time. (y)