Live Mesh

No income tax, no capital gains tax. Freedom!
Has any body considered using Live Mesh to keep all laptop synchronized with the current version of PLC programs? There is a log so that one can keep track of what laptop made changes to a file.

I have been experimenting with live mesh over the holidays. It seems to work but it does take some time to synchronize files when there are a lot of changes.

Peter I looked at Live Mesh after reading your post. I have been looking for some sort of alternative to the $20,000 cost of other software I looked at for doing this. The turn off for us appears to be you have to access the internet to use the software. We try to keep our laptops off of the the internet. Am I correct in my understanding of live mesh, you have to use the internet for it?

Yes,you must be on the on internet

I have been doing something like this with our own server for some time. I just used synchronize it, synctoy or Chronosync( mac)
What I like about doing it myself is that I have control over the updates.

BTW, Live Mesh is still in beta so I wouldn't trust it yet. I would still keep my own backups.

I just like the idea. I don't like the fact the data is on a Microsoft server some where.

Not ready for prime time. Is that what beta means?

Stupid me for thinking anything Microsoft would do would work while it is in beta. I just went in to work. Live Mesh wouldn't update my computer at work. It worked OK at home where I have 3 computers. I am deleting from my computers. It was worth a try but it is still in beta. I should know better. What a waste of time.

I am going to go back to using a VPN to get into our own server and use the Synchronizing tools I mentioned above.

I've been using Live Mesh at home for more than 3 months now (since it was only a Tech Preview). Just a few things you guys may not know about it...

It can sometimes take up to half an hour to update. Ususally it only takes 5 minutes max for it to detect changes, but it has taken me longer.

You can stop it from synchronising to the web-space. However, to do this you have to log in via the www.mesh.com interface, select the sync folder, and then change the sync settings from there.

Also, there is a different Microsoft sync tool that might be more appropriate, although I have never used it personally. Windows Live Sync is supposedly better for PC-PC syncs, but I'd imagine that wouldn't work so well for upwards of 2-3 PCs.

@cciblazer my understanding is that all Mesh syncs are routed through the web, regardless of whether the files are synced to the web-space. Probably not appropriate in your case. SyncToy however is an extremely good offline sync program. I use it to sync files to a thumb drive at home, but have never tried over a local network. Is supposed to be pretty good for that use though. However, I believe it is only manual sync (you have to press a button every time) or via Windows scheduling... not dynamic syncing.

Last edited:
I gave up on live mesh

I am using OpenVPN to access our server at work. I know our server is backed up plus I know my data is floating around outside my control. I now use synchronize it or synctoy to synchronize over the local LAN or over the internet. I have already been in the field and it works well. Synctoy and synchronize is it not automatic but I like having control over when and what is being syncrhonized. I am a happy camper.

I still need to get OpenVPN working on my Mac Mini at home. There is a program called Tunnelblick that implements OpenVPN on the Mac. I just haven't made that a high priority.