slc5/04 online editing

betamax6

help please...
when performing online editing, should i still click "download" after i have accepted the changes made for them to take effect? i am new to allen bradley and i am really confused with the environment. also, are there special utility relays in ab (specifically rslogix500) like in other plc brands - N.O. bit, N.C. bit, 1sec timer, 10sec timer, etc...i am confused with the addressing scheme of ab software, like how do i address a bit? in a particular bit, which is the symbol and which is the comment?

thanks!

Hi betamax.

If you are online with the processer (the "ladders" are rotating) then you are doing online editing on the code in the CPU. You dont have to download, but you should do an upload after you are finished so that your offline file is syncronised with the online program.
One thing you must do for each rung that you edit, is the "accept the edits". There is a button in the editor window for this purpose. If you dont do that, the code is there but does nothing.
If the CPU is in program mode, the edits are accepted the moment you activate that button. If the CPU is in remote run mode, then you also have to test edits and assemble edits, in the same way you accepted the edits. The buttons to test and assemble edits are right next to the accept edits button.

Bits are addressed in this way:
I:1/5
N7:10/3
Timer bits of interest are the enabled bit (for example T4:10/en), the timing bit (T4:10/tt) and done bit (T4:10/dn).

I hope this helps

The 5/04 standard addy is:
O= real world outputs eg: O:2/08 = output/slot 2/bit 8
I= real world inputs eg: I:1/15 = input/slot 1/ bit 15
B3= internal bits eg: B3/0 = bit 0 of the B3 file
B3/109 = bit 109 of the B3/file
T4= timers eg:T4:0 = timer 0 of the T4 file
eg:T4:0.dn timer 0 is done
C5= counters eg: C5:0 counter 0 of the C5 file
eg: C5:0.acc value of timer 0
N7 eg: N7:0 = an integer word (ints can be put here)

There are a few more files that I wont discuss and one can make extra files such as B56, T20,C109,N82 etc but the defaults are listed above(O,I,B3,T4,C5 etc)

Slot addressing:
Count the slots from left to right. The first slot has the processor in it, so slot 0 is used for the processor.

The next slot slot may have an input card so the address for that input card would be I:1/00- I:1/15 (16 bit card?)
I(input):1(slot)/15(bit)
Output cards would have the same address except start with an O instead of an I. O:1/00

Thats just a quick overview
Dave

a lesson from the boot camp ...

Greetings betamax6 ...

the link below should tell you more than you really want to know about online editing ...

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=6785&view=findpost&p=27930

basic preview:

when you click "Accept" you're SENDING the rung to the processor ... if you've just made changes to an existing rung (and you're in the RUN mode) then BOTH rungs are now present in the processor ... the old rung (marked with R's) is still being executed ... the new rung (marked with I's) is waiting to be used until you do the next (test edits) step ...

when you "Test Edits" you're telling the processor to "ACT ON MY CHANGES" ... the new "I" rung gets executed ... the old "R" rung goes into standby ...

when you click "Assemble" you're telling the system to make everything nice and neat ... "keep the new changes - throw out the old stuff, etc." ... the new "I" rung gets firmly "inserted" ... the old "R" rung gets "replaced" ...

on the other hand ... when you click "download" you're ripping any old existing program out by the roots and replacing it completely (lock, stock, and barrel) with the ENTIRE program (ALL of the rungs, etc. - not just a few changes) that you're downloading ... note that you can NOT do this while the system keeps running the plant ...

hope this helps ... be careful ...

Last edited: