Corrupted Processor

t_montez

Hi all,

We have a Allen Bradley SLC5/05 that has a fault light that is on constant and the remainder of the lights are flashing. Also, upon power up the scanner module cycles but then shuts itself down. We have tried to connect to the CPU with no luck. You should also no that the CPU doesn't have a memory module and I have already tried to restore the CPU to factory defaults. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

how are you trying to connect to the processor? If it has a serial port and a DH+/RIO port, you might not be able to connect via DH+/RIO. Try connecting via Serial, if you haven't already.

When connecting via serial, can your computer see the plc? By that I mean in RSLinx setting up the serial driver by clicking the "Auto-configure".

I don't mean to talk to you like you don't know what you are doing, but I don't know your level of experience.

I will put this here just in case you need it.

Try this with RSlinx.

Go to the "configure drivers" and select RS-232 DF1 Devices and select "Add New"
then press "ok" on the pop-up window and it will bring you to the configuration screen.
Select the proper comm port (I'm guessing its COM1) and make sure you do not have any other program that is using this port or this will not work.
Select the device "SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview"
Then select "auto-configure"
Once you hit this, it will give you a message in the little window letting you know if it accepted it or not.

Hope this helps.

When connecting via serial, can your computer see the plc? By that I mean in RSLinx setting up the serial driver by clicking the "Auto-configure".

I don't mean to talk to you like you don't know what you are doing, but I don't know your level of experience.

No worries, I have tried running auto configure but it will not connect.

The CPU is defective.

If the CPU was OK, the FLT lamp would flash after you cleared the memory.
You would also have the lamp sequence in case there was an error during a firmware update, but that is appearantly not the cause.

First of all, how did you attempt to restore the factory defaults? Did you short between VBB and GN? Did you remember to unplug the battery first? I usually maintain the short for about 30 seconds to be ceratain the cap has fully discharged. If you still exprience the same problem, I'm afraid you have a defective processor.

I have a 505 processor that is the same. I have always wondered whether a flash firmware upgrade would fix the problem. I will have to give it a try one day.
Regards Alan Case