Simatic net and syn files

tcross

Hello everyone!!

I have a big problem. We have a system which uses about 9 Siemens PLC's and 6 PC's. There is one server which has about 6 applications on it which talk using Simatic Net. The hard drive on the old system has burned up and there is no way to use it anymore. We have a copy of the files and applications that were being used. We copied them to a new drive and reinstalled Simatic Net. When we start the applications they give us error messages, mostly about not being able to find tags. So I am GUESSING the Simatic Net program has to be set up to use the .syn files which define the tags.

Does this sound correct and do I have any chance in getting this to work again?

Thanks

Hi tcross.

You have to investigate more which method is used with Simatic Net.
There are 3 possible variants.

1. Using the Access Point S7ONLINE.

2. Using Simatic Net as an OPC Server. And the applications that run on the Server are OPC Clients. One or more "connections" has to be setup in Simatic Net.

3. Using Simatic Net and the applications uses S7-API (aka. "user application" in Siemens lingo). One or more "connections" has to be setup in Simatic Net.

Exactly what applications is it that run on the server ?
Is there some configuration info somewhere that could tell us more ?
What does the error information say exactly ?

Thanks for the response. A person familiar with this system saw my posting and responded back with:

" Simatic Net doesn’t know anything about the tags, and just serves as a connection to the applications. It is the applications that are failing. It has nothing to do with the Siemens software"

Probally the applications are not installed correctly.

To answer your question I think the answer is #1 because of all the talk I have overheard while the "real programmers" were working on the system, I have never heard any word on setting up any connections, just installing Simatic Net. I think the VB apps just use some of the Simatic Net drivers. So for the moment, I am happy with the answer it is an application issue, not a Siemens software issue.

Thanks

"Simatic Net doesn’t know anything about the tags" Correct.
"and just serves as a connection to the applications" Correct.
"It is the applications that are failing" That is too early to say.
"It has nothing to do with the Siemens software" That is too early to say.

Like I wrote before, Simatic Net has to be configured, installing is not enough. Specifically, when using OPC or S7-API, "connections" have to be setup. The applications then accesses the PLCs via the connections.
edit: Even with the more direct method (#1), at least the S7ONLINe access point has to be setup, or some other access point.

But it sounds as if you are not really the person tasked with getting it to run.

Last edited:
Again, thanks for the response.
The only time I get to play around and learn things like Simatic Net is when the equipment is already broken. Currently we have a crude fix for the problem by using a OPC server and VB program which I installed. However, I do have a small amount of free time I can play around with that system to try to make some sense out of it. When we have completed some other projects, we will probally have to bring in an expert to get this going again.
So, just for fun, does anyone have any suggestions on what my next step should be?

Your next step could be to investigate exactly what method is used for connecting to the PLCs.
If Simatic Net is used, you can investigate the "Station Configurator". Look for "OPC Server" and/or "User application"
If direct drivers are used, you can investigate what S7ONLINE is set to in the "Set PG/PC Interface" utility.

OK, I will see if the back up copy ITS made of that drive still has Simatic Net installed and undisturbed, so I can check what you suggest.

I am sure the set up of Simatic Net currently on the server is not correct because Simatic Net has been reloaded onto it several times, and any configuration information probally has been over written.

Thanks

Simatic Net is a monster, we have a system with ifix & simatic net, the simatic net often falls over, you have to either re-install it or delete the connection & re-do it, we even had it change the ethernet address (mac) yes really?
It takes an age to load, cumbersome etc. If you can change it to S7A I have been told this driver is one we sould be changing to (original supplier recommended it as they have had problems with simatic net).
I have replaced with kepserver & it's fine now.

I will recieve the old drive in the mourning and see if it can be read. Part of the challenge is that the server used 2 drives C and W. I am pretty sure the applications and Simatic Net were on W. This is the one I can get. However, I suspect our problems are coming from the registry on the C drive, which is gone.

I had fun with the kepserver, and was modeling my thoughts on Simatic Net from that, however I see now it is very different.

I am going to read up on "configuring Simatic Net" for a clue on what it does.