GX Developer Programming

thandie22us

hello

i would like to write a simple ladder program in (Mitsubishi)GX Developer 8, but i am not sure
1.where i get devices like the timers and counters etc,i.e i cant find the tool chest or library
2.the PLC seems to be always in run mode and i cnt find were to stop it so that i am able to download the program to it.
3. what do i do to monitor the program when PLC is runing

Basically can someone help me with the fundamentals of programing in the GX Developer environment. I have tried the manual but i seem to be stuck.

thandie22us

Some Mitsubishi PLCs have a hard wired run input.

If there is no switch on the front of the PLC look for a wire going from 24VDC to a terminal labelled RUN.

Timer and counter are accesed by typing "out TX KYY" or "out CX KYY" (leave out the quotes)

Where X = timer or counter (T or C) number 1-2-3-4-5 etc. and Y being the preset value in tenths of a second (represented by K (constant)

Marc

Last edited:
thandie22us

Also to monitor the PLC when in run, open the program in gxdeveloper, connect the cable to the PLC port.

Click on the "online" toolbar, scroll to "monitor" and select "monitor mode" or you can press F3.

To modify a running program follw the same steps but change "monitor Mode" to "Monitor" (write mode).

Marc

Hie Marc
Please see mu response in red below.

Also to monitor the PLC when in run, open the program in gxdeveloper, connect the cable to the PLC port.
thandie: I am using an ethernet connection to communicate with the PLC

Click on the "online" toolbar, scroll to "monitor" and select "monitor mode" or you can press F3.

To modify a running program follw the same steps but change "monitor Mode" to "Monitor" (write mode).
thandie: When i try to monitor it gives me an error "A melsec application error has occured. Please restart <ES:02000006>". what could be the cause of this error.

as for getting familiar with it, GX Developer has nice manual that explains everything. That should be first reading material when starting with Mitsubishi PLCs. not sure about that error, never seen one. what are you using for operating system (exact version and service pack), GX Developer, how much RAM you have etc.

Last edited:
Marc

If there is no switch on the front of the PLC look for a wire going from 24VDC to a terminal labelled RUN.
I have found how to stop and run it through Online\Remote operation.

Timer and counter are accesed by typing "out TX KYY" or "out CX KYY" (leave out the quotes)
When i try to change a contact or coil from say an 'X10' to an 'M100', i double click on the contact then it gives me a small pop up window saying "find". This doesn't work. Where am i geting it wrong?

Where do i type "TX KYY"?

Where is the library or toolchest where all the instructions and operands are found?

Where X = timer or counter (T or C) number 1-2-3-4-5 etc. and Y being the preset value in tenths of a second (represented by K (constant)
I assume you mean "T5 K100" for a timer with a preset value of 10sec.

Marc[/quote]

as for getting familiar with it, GX Developer has nice manual that explains everything.
i have two manuals that i am using but they are not giving me the basic fundamentals of working around the Gx Developer environment.they are

1. Mitsubishi Q series controller software manual
  2. Gx Dev operation manual
Is there any other manual that u may refer me to

That should be first reading material when starting with Mitsubishi PLCs. not sure about that error, never seen one. what are you using for operating system (exact version and service pack), GX Developer, how much RAM you have etc.[/quote]

I am using MS Windows XP Profexnal,version2002, sevice pack 2, 0.99Gb RAM

thandie22us

My responses in BLUE

I have found how to stop and run it through Online\Remote operation.

Thats good news, wasn't sure how old a PLC you were using

When i try to change a contact or coil from say an 'X10' to an 'M100', i double click on the contact then it gives me a small pop up window saying "find". This doesn't work. Where am i geting it wrong?

GXDeveloper defaults to read mode, you need to change to write mode. On the edit menu, scroll down to "write mode" or press F2

Where do i type "TX KYY"?

When you are at the output section of the rung (far right) type "out t5 k100"

Where is the library or toolchest where all the instructions and operands are found?

In the VIEW menu, select toolbar and you will get a popup window that will allow you to select which tools to display. You want to make sure LD SYMBOL is checked.

I assume you mean "T5 K100" for a timer with a preset value of 10sec.

Precisely

Marc[/quote]

Hie Marc

thank you very much for your assistance.

I seem to have one major problem, i cant monitor the logic in the GX Developer but i can seethat the logic (ladder diagram) is functional in the citectScada.

Suppose the citectScada is offline, how am i supposed to monitor the functionality of the logic in the GX Developer environment.
Everytime i select monitor mode or monitor'write'mode, i get an error and the gx developer becomes non-responsive and shuts down.

Where am i geting it wrong?

Not sure,

Have you checked that error code against a list of error codes?

Do you have the manual for the software?

Marc

GX can become unresponsive if the ethernet comunication settings are incorrect when going online. Check the settings under "transfer set-up" make sure the station address is not the same as the ethernet card station address. i normally set mine to 50 just to be sure.
Check your IP settings.