RS Logix 5000 Timers

Outrage

Hi all,

Another quickie! Timers in Compact/ControlLogix, since there is no time base setting as per SLC and you have to enter the time in milliseconds, is there a limit to the time you can enter?

I sometimes think these all singing, all dancing platforms have gone backwards with their instruction set, long live SLC! :)

Cheers,

Lee

I'm home right now so don't have my manuals or software with me, but there is a limit to the timer preset -- and you can easily find that information in the help files.

And the ControlLogix platform is NOT a backwards step... period...

Don't know the maximum for sure, but since the CLX platform is 32 bit, I would guess the timer preset limit is the same as the maximum value of a double word integer, I believe is 2147483647 (milliseconds or 2147483.647 seconds or 35791 minutes or about 596 hours). So you can much higher than you could with the old SLC limit of 32767 seconds.

OZZE, thanks for your reply,

I've had a look in the instruction set help, I can find a timer structure section which specifies the .PRE as a DINT. can I assume from that that the maximum time is the maximum positive value of a DINT = 2147483647?

As for the quip about the backwards step, I was joking! - maybe i should have used a ;) instead of the :)

Cheers,

Lee

Ken,

just had another dig about in the instruction help, our posts must have crossed but it's good that we;'ve both come to the same conclusion!

Cheers,

Lee

In Logix the Timer Preset is a 32-bit DINT which means the maximum value for your​
timers can be:
[FONT=Arial,Italic][FONT=Arial,Italic]2,147,483,647
[/FONT][/FONT]

I sometimes think these all singing, all dancing platforms have gone backwards with their instruction set, long live SLC! :)
I went into 5000 kicking and screaming myself. Now it is the love of my life. Especially if you do EthernetIP and/or network downloads.

Selectable timebases were NOT a good thing in the SLC 500.

You could time to 32767 seconds (9+ hours) but only if you can make do with whole second increments only.

Or you could have the flexibility of two decimal places but you can only time up to 5.5 minutes.

If you have a Micro then you could have up to three decimal places but hopefully you don't need to time longer than 32.767 seconds.

With the 5000 you could instead time in 1ms increments out to:
24 days
20 hours
31 minutes
23 seconds
647 milliseconds

OG