Some Allen Bradley Help

edda

Hi All!

I´ve been asked to go to the Netherlands and increasing the productivity of a extrusion press (trim cycles).

The problem is that the system is a Allen Bradley PLC-5 and I have never done anything with any AB system (normally only Siemens and some Mitsubishi).

What software is used to program PLC-5? RSLogix 5?
I´ved recived two files with the extession *.RSP

And what kind of cable?

Best Regards!

//E

Yes Logix5 is the correct software for the PLC-5. You will also need to install RSLinx to be able to communicate to the PLC (i.e. upload, download, online changes, etc.) Cable is a bigger question. If it has ethernet comms you can connect through the network with a patch cable to a switch. Serial port (Channel 0) is RS-232 but depending on the age of the PLC is either 25-pin DB or 9-pin DB. The other standard comm on a PLC-5 is DH+. You can either get an expensive PCMCIA card or I believe there is a USB hookup to DH+ available now from Rockwell. The PLC-5 gurus on here will have more specific information and correct any of my mistakes I've spelled out here.

RSLogix5 was about $3,600 the last time I checked - no other RSLogix package will work for the PLC-5 ... specifically, RSLogix500 and RSLogix5000 will NOT work ... RSLinx LITE is available free when you buy RSLogix5 ... that's all of the "RSLinx" horsepower you should need for programming purposes ...

Serial port (Channel 0) is RS-232 but depending on the age of the PLC is either 25-pin DB or 9-pin DB.

minor correction here: if there is a DB-9 connection on the front of a PLC-5 (regardless of age), then that port is ONLY for Data Highway Plus ... it will NOT work for RS232 serial communications ... if there is a DB-25 connection on the front of a PLC-5, then that port is NORMALLY for RS232 serial communications ... BUT ... sometimes that port gets re-configured for barcode readers, etc. ... in those cases it might not be available for your programming pleasure ...

best plan of attack: post the .RSP files as Mickey mentioned ... if they're current, then we can tell a lot more about what type of communication situation you're heading into ... in many cases, just getting "online" with the PLC is the hardest part of the task ...

and please post again once you've finished the project ... it will be interesting to know how you compare working with AB and the other brands that you mentioned ...

good luck with your project ...

Your controllers are PLC5/40's , both have 25 pin serial ports.
You will need a null modem cable to connect. If your computer has a real serial port then a 9 to 25 pin null modem cable will work. If your computer does not have a real serial port then you will need a USB to serial adapter ( brand name "Keyspan" is very good. RSlinx should be configured for RS232 DF1 devices driver.
You can connect to the DH+ port but this will reqiure some extra hardware $$$( 1784-PCMK card or KF2 box or the new USB to DH+ converter)

Female 9 Male 25​
1 --------------------- 8​
2 --------------------- 3​
3 --------------------- 2​
4 --------------------- 20​
5 --------------------- 7​
6 --------------------- 6​
7 --------------------- 4​
8 --------------------- 5​
Shield ---- 1

oops this is the pinout for a pv 1200 programming cable
I cant remember if it is a 25 null cable I will look further.
I need to organize my files.

Last edited:
Edit
If I type faster than Mickey then he only uses one finger
Is there another way to type?
Some guys took typing class in school, I took home economics to be with the girls. A lot more fun.

Last edited: