S7 Hardware Config

Longhorn

hey folks,
we are experiencing an issue with one of our profibus PA networks where devices are randomly dropping off the network resulting in a bus fault which stops devices communicating (sometimes 2 and other times all 18).

The configurations is S7-414 CPU---> DP Link ---> DP/PA Coupler then out on the PA bus to 18 devices in total. The devices are a mixture of Flow, Level, Pressure & Conductivity transmitters which are all endress and hauser instrumentation.

Several weeks ago a contractor company came in and installed 2 new devices to the bus (one flow tx promag 50 and one cerebar pressure tx). ever since this installation we have been experiencing random faults where the PLC is unable to communicate with some devices on this bus. (nb there are 6 PA loops on this PLC and all others are running healthy).

A service guy from siemens came out last night and had proficore / profitrace analyser and confirmed that devices were randomly dropping off the network and if monitored for long enough each node had eventually faulted but not in any sequence or pattern.

Checked the PA waveform which was clean at 900mV peak to peak with no noise or spikes.

All cabling has been checked and screens belled out to ensure good connection all the way back to the final termination in the control panel.
One thing that places doubt in the whole thing is that sometimes when you go online via hardware manager and view each instrument. some devices dissapear off the PA loop and if you go offline then back on they re-appear???? surely if a device was unable to communicate it would appear with a red cross or slash above it???

Has anyone came accross this before? I am now at a stage where we have checked everything physical on that PA loop but have doubt in the config.

Many Thanks

LH

Usually when I have seen this happen - it turns out to be noise or a grounding issue. Frustrating because it is hard to trouble shoot. The new devices that they added, are the runs of PA long? If you remove these devices from the network is the network still flakey? I would try removing them - get back to stable - then add one of the devices - check to see if network is stable then remove first and add the second device look for stability. Then add both back... wish I could offer more.

I'd agree with SYLENT.
Its going to to be a wiring problem. You've added devices to a network that was on the edge of stability.
Is your cable decent quality? I've had problems using cheap cable.
I'd guess that you need a repeater to boost the signal. I'm assuming you have used a terminator.
I'm surprised the Siemens service man didn't suggest it so maybe you dont.
Download this manual and take a look at chapter 5.

http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo〈=en&objid=1971286&caller=view

thanks for your replies, it has been brought to our attention onsite that the methods of terminating the PAA bus cable before the drops down to devices is non standard. the company who installed the whole of the process department used joint boxes which seemed to have got us 3 years without any issues. it has been brought to our attension by the siemens engineer that you need to use either the PA t piece bus connectors or some other 3rd party joint box designed for PA. this way the screens are not bonded to the joint box whatsoever and therefore the only terminations are at the device and the coupler panel.
many thanks again and happy new year

i have a project with endress pa devices , i have the gsd files but i don't have the documentation to know data linking , (the device has two bytes and i want to know the data for each byte)

the device is FTL 50 , can u help me with the documentation

i have a project with endress pa devices , i have the gsd files but i don't have the documentation to know data linking , (the device has two bytes and i want to know the data for each byte)

the device is FTL 50 , can u help me with the documentation

Hello Amr;
Maybe this is what yiu are looking for?
Liquifant M FTL 50 vibronic level switch: basic document download page:
http://www.endress.com/eh/home.nsf/?Open&DirectURL=C12572610030A906C1256FAF0031FBAF

Electronic insert FEL50A (PROFIBUS PA) documentation:
https://portal.endress.com/wa001/dla/50000001538/000/00/BA141FEN.pdf

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier