A-B RIO Help

bsprowls

We have a PLC5/40 and at least 3 RIO stations that have been working fine. We are going to expand Rack 4. It used to have an ASB card, one 1794IA16 card, two 1794 OA16 cards, and a 1794OF41 card, we are adding another 1794OF41 card. I am a little confused about the module number and group number to assign to this new module in the BTR and BTW commands in the ladder logic, also the data file numbers Could some one please help me?

Please provide just a little bit more information

As in the subject line, you need to give a little to get a little.

1/2 slot? 1/4slot? what is your grouping, etc?

You are venturing into some deep &&))_) if you don't have all of the correct information ahead of time.

Glad to help, if you provide some more specifics about your changes.

The RIO addressing protocol and the 1794-ASB adapter have been around for so long and have so many variables that you have to provide all the information about them before anyone (including RA Tech Support) can tell you how they work.

To determine the addressing of any module attached to a 1794-ASB, three things must be known:

1. The module's full part number and Series Letter.
2. The module's position (which "slot" it's in).
3. The Series Letter (new ones are Series E) of the 1794-ASB
4. The settings of all the DIP switches in the SW1 and SW2 banks on the 1794-ASB.

Because you provided some of that information, we can make an informed guess.

1794-ASB Rack 4 Adapter, 1/2 Rack Size
1794-IA16 Rack 4, Slot 0, Group 0
1794-OA16 Rack 4, Slot 1, Group 0
1794-OA16 Rack 4, Slot 2, Group 0
1794-OF4I Rack 4, Slot 3, Group 0

Because you are adding a new 1794-OF4I, it will be Rack 4, Slot 4, Group 0.

This requires that the PLC-5 scanlist be changed to accomodate the larger "Rack" size, which will now be 3/4 Rack.

Because an existing analog module exists and has been programmed with BTR and BTW instructions, you can use them for a guideline about what Control Block addresses (remember to reserve three Word elements for the Control Block) and which Data File elements and configuration settings might be appropriate for your program.

The Control Blocks and Data Blocks do not have to be specific files in the PLC-5, so generally you want to select data file elements that are adjacent and subsequent to the existing data file elements being used to configure and read I/O modules in the same adapter.